• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 Dash Light

M1009_SPAIN

I rebuilt my gen 1 with a quality kit, I replaced all the components, the only thing that survived is the outer casing, tomorrow I will check all the information that they have provided me and I will inform you,

Jake59

What happens if you increase the RPM slightly by pressing the accelerator before the light is out? Does the light go out immediately?

My '85 does the exact same thing, for about 10-15 seconds.
When I slightly increase RPM, then Alt 1 light goes out immediately!!

Indicating...? Weak or failing alternator?

Jake

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My '85 does the exact same thing, for about 10-15 seconds.
When I slightly increase RPM, then Alt 1 light goes out immediately!!

Indicating...? Weak or failing alternator?

Jake
Probably not, the regulator has to see enough voltage from the trio to turn on and start regulating.

Initially, the voltage in the alternator is low and the light is on because it is grounded (not direct ground, there is a resistance) through the regulator. If the idle speed is a little low, the alternator does not spin fast enough to generate the initial turn on voltage. As the voltage in the alternator comes up (RPM increases), the light turns out as the alternator voltage equals the voltage from the light.

My #2 alternator does this. It will turn on eventually, once the after glow cycles finish. I usually blip the throttle in-between cycles to turn it on. If it bothers you, rebuilding the alternator may cure it.

Jake59

Probably not, the regulator has to see enough voltage from the trio to turn on and start regulating.

Initially, the voltage in the alternator is low and the light is on because it is grounded (not direct ground, there is a resistance) through the regulator. If the idle speed is a little low, the alternator does not spin fast enough to generate the initial turn on voltage. As the voltage in the alternator comes up (RPM increases), the light turns out as the alternator voltage equals the voltage from the light.

My #2 alternator does this. It will turn on eventually, once the after glow cycles finish. I usually blip the throttle in-between cycles to turn it on. If it bothers you, rebuilding the alternator may cure it.
Thank you Tow4!

Maybe I have the wrong dash bulbs in the dash and also for Alt 1. Would that cause the light on perhaps?
Alt 1 should have bulb 168 and Alt 2 takes a 194, from what I can gather here.
These bulbs do not exist in Europe but are available as 12V either in 5W or as 10W bulb, so 5W should do in any case I guess... just hoping I won't melt the brittle-by-age dash plastic...

But the delay in starting of Alt 1 does not really bother me, I was just a bit worried about the functionality of my alt.
I can comfortably live with just bliping the throttle after start up.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Jake

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you Tow4!

Maybe I have the wrong dash bulbs in the dash and also for Alt 1. Would that cause the light on perhaps?
Alt 1 should have bulb 168 and Alt 2 takes a 194, from what I can gather here.
These bulbs do not exist in Europe but are available as 12V either in 5W or as 10W bulb, so 5W should do in any case I guess... just hoping I won't melt the brittle-by-age dash plastic...

But the delay in starting of Alt 1 does not really bother me, I was just a bit worried about the functionality of my alt.
I can comfortably live with just bliping the throttle after start up.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Jake
I can't speak of the light bulbs because I have never had mine out. I don't think the type is critical. I would worry more about the plastic cracking than melting. The lights are never on that long.

M1009_SPAIN

We come with news, I had this and I was able to get in the truck to check the lights with all your indications and help.

When I turn the key the gen1 and gen2 lights stay on, the voltmeter reads 26v.

When my m1009 starts, the voltmeter continues to show 26v at all times, I was checking it for 10 minutes, the gen 1 and gen2 lights are still on, but with a small touch of the accelerator, gen2 turns off,

With the m1009 running, if I disconnect the two-pole terminal from the regulator, the gen1 light disappears, and the voltmeter continues to read 26v at all times. I checked it for another 10 minutes. What I did notice was that the connector was filled like grease. could it be the culprit?

The batteries charge correctly, also checked,

Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

The bulbs are those corresponding to gen1 and gen2, it was the first thing I checked again.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We come with news, I had this and I was able to get in the truck to check the lights with all your indications and help.

When my m1009 starts, the voltmeter continues to show 26v at all times, I was checking it for 10 minutes, the gen 1 and gen2 lights are still on, but with a small touch of the accelerator, gen2 turns off,

With the m1009 running, if I disconnect the two-pole terminal from the regulator, the gen1 light disappears, and the voltmeter continues to read 26v at all times. I checked it for another 10 minutes. What I did notice was that the connector was filled like grease. could it be the culprit?

The bulbs are those corresponding to gen1 and gen2, it was the first thing I checked again.
Ok if you unplugged the regulator and the light went out then you got a bad regulator or the belt is slipping like crazy.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I suggest you check the voltage at each alternator. The regulator set point is 14.8 volts. If both alternators are operating you will see about 28 volts.

To determine if the problem is in the alternator, click HERE.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
unplug the regulator and the light go out, the voltmeter continues to show 26v at all times, check 10 minutes
I'm confused...maybe try a better google translation.
If you unplug the regulator on gen one the light should go out. Does it do that? Your batteries will show 26 volts....one battery is at 12 and the other at 14 hence the 26 volts gen one is not working Unplug the regulator and see if the gen one light goes out. If it does not go out then you have a short somewhere in that wire. If it does you have a bad regulator.

M1009_SPAIN

I'm confused...maybe try a better google translation.
If you unplug the regulator on gen one the light should go out. Does it do that? Your batteries will show 26 volts....one battery is at 12 and the other at 14 hence the 26 volts gen one is not working Unplug the regulator and see if the gen one light goes out. If it does not go out then you have a short somewhere in that wire. If it does you have a bad regulator.

unplugged the gen 1 regulator and the gen1 light disappeared, and stayed that way for the 10 minutes The m1009 Was running.

The voltmeter always reads 26v, which is half the distance of the voltmeter as it reads 20/26/32v. It arrived when I bought the car.

The front and rear batteries give 28.4v on the multimeter with m1009 running.

If you tell me that the regulator is bad, I will change it, you know more than me, that's why I asked for help and you are helping me.

I rebuilt the alternator with a supposedly quality CUCV kit, but I see that it wasn't, hahahaha.

The batteries did not complain without power, when I checked their voltage individually they read 12.8v

engine off voltmeter 26v batteries full charge
IMG_6167.jpegEngine on
IMG_6166.jpeg

dReed39

We'll work on a Gen2 project once we mounted on the shocks from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler. It does the same thing and we're looking to get Delco alternator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks