• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 driver side not charging right

acesneights1

Truck has the stock unmolested dual alt system
It will only charge if the engine is revved way up then it will stay excited. If the truck is shut off it will not charge until that is done. I had the alt tested and it is fine. The gen 1 light does not go on with the key. Bulb is good. I have no keyed power going to the 2 wire plug but even stabbing that wire with a test light is enough to cause it to excite and charge(sometimes). Fuses under dash are all good. what am I missing ?

acesneights1

Alternator was bench tested at a local auot elect shop. It's good. Yes more than 1100. I would say atleast 2000 maybe more. It's not getting keyed power to excite it. There is a two wire plug that snaps into it and the Alt shop told me one side should have constant power and the other should be keyed power Is that correct ? If it is then the keyed power is not getting any. I traced the wire back to the plug where it goes into the firewall and still had no power there either. So the problem has to be under the dash/inside the truck but where ? Could the circut board on the instrument panel be the culprit ? It's a PIA to get out but I will if needed or is Gen 1 looped through the Voltage guage that is not factory ? Somewhere in the truck there must be a problem but not sure where to look. I have the TM but I'm not real good at reading schematics. It's a little confusing. Basically is the volt gauge in the same loop with gen1 ? Is the fact that the light doesnt come on wih the key an indicator of my issue ?

ehuppert

Went through this with my 08, but seeing as how converted to SBC alt isn't the same. On the older alts power to light (excite) is "pwered" by ign, then grounded through regulator unit. In my case it was a bad alternator that wasn't grounding the circuit.

You can reach up from below with test light (difficult, but possible) to check for power at the printed circuit by the bulb. For that matter, you can disconnect alt plug and see if power is coming from dash to excite circuit. you can also check terminal in alt to see if powered with veh off. If so, most likely regulator. Of course this is assuming that the mil alternator works on the same priniciple as the 10 si. (sure someone will correct me if i'm mistaken?)

eric

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Gen 1 and Gen 2 dash lights are required for the charging system to work. They are part of the circuit design. No Bulb, No worky.

The Gen 1 bulb gets it power from the ignition switch. It is supplied thru pin #5 on the instrument cluster circuit board. Pin #5 supplies power to Gen1, 4x4 light and Oil light. It is 12v.

The circuit goes thru the Gen1 bulb and out Pin #2, passes thru a brown wire, thru a harness connector and continues to Plug #1 on the drivers side alternator.

Plug #2 is hot at all times and is the red wire. It is connected to the 12v terminal on the firewall next to the Glowplug Relay.

First thing I would do is disconnect the batteries and remove and clean all the fuses and fuse holders at the fuse box. A can of electrical contact cleaner and a piece of sand paper or small file is required. They are known to collect dirt and grime thru out their 25+ years of service. With clean fuses, we can check more items. I have seen many issues corrected with just cleaning the fuses

If that doesn't help, then remove the instrument cluster and clean all the bulb sockets and copper contacts on the circuit board. These are also known to corrode over they years. Use a piece of steel wool to clean the contacts on the circuit board. While you have the cluster out you can use an ohm meter and check all the circuit paths to make sure the connections are good.

I have included some pics of the instrument cluster and the Gen1 circuit. I colored the Ignition circuit in purple.

Here are some links on how I fixed my instrument cluster.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/electrical/43351-cucv-instrument-cluster-repair.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/46054-cucv-instrument-cluster-decoded.html

Check these items and let us know what happens.

Warthog

Right click on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window" then save the file and you can open it and zoom in if needed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Grantshire

First thing I would do is swap the alternators and see if the problem stays with the alternator or at the position? Wayne
I have (I think) the same problem on my daughter's M1009 and have made her park it until I get this figured out (she is not happy about that!). Are these two alternators the same? If so, swapping them would tell me if one is bad because I don't really trust the local idiots to test one. The Gen 1 light stays on and her gauge show charging is not what it should be.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck is stock, then the two alternators should be the same.

They are regular 12v alternators, EXCEPT the the ground for the internal electronics is conected to the gound post and NOT the case.

Any shop should be able to check them. They just have to attach the ground wire to the post and not the case.

You can have a good shop rebuild them for less than $100 ea.

Or you can rebuild it yourself.
http://www.springhillautoelectric.co...d&productId=13
Includes everything except a new ground terminal

If you want new, ebay has them or you can go to NAPA. for a rebuilt one. I posted the Wilson/Napa part number in the CUCV Wiki page Cost about $220 each

If you truck is still 24v, make sure you get the alternator with the Isolated Ground. There was a recent post explaining the Isolated Ground

Right click on thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

Last edited:

dstang97

I had a to clean everything to fix mine the contacts on the bulb cluster and main harness. Try turning the light a couple of times before taking everything apart to get a good contact.

Grantshire check both batteries with a multi meter before swaping them. They should both be 14v ruining

acesneights1

I soldered a wire directly to the bulb and then scotch loked it to the corresponding wire in the harness as a quick fix. The local Junky has an M1008 so Tues I will stop by and see if the cluster is good. The whole ribbon on mine looks hurtin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks