• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 exciter---ground stealing voltage

bkwudzhom

Gen 1 exciter---what am I missing?

Before I get started..yes I have searched...yes I have read Warthogs Gen 1 Exciter post and thanks to his post I have upgraded my collection of laminated schematics.

Problem started on routine trip to town. Drove in with no problem. When leaving the store the Gen 1 light came on. I read up on it and started troubleshooting. Checked the exciter wire plug... red gives me 12V & brown 2.xx volts. Traced the brown wire back to the dash plug and have continuity. I have 12v into the Gen 1 light on the circuit board but just a bit over 2v out. I Checked for a ground to the brown wire at the Gen 1 and it seems to be grounded. I disconnected the wiring harness at the firewall. This allowed me to narrow the ground to be between the internal firewall plug and the dash board plug. I ran out of time and haven't had the chance to get back to it. Any suggestions on where the ground may be? I would hate to start unwrapping the wiring harness under the dash when it could be something that I just overlooked in my frustration. Thanks in advance for any direction you may have.
BK

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

To begin charging the Alt must be receiving the proper voltage into the exciter circuit. If you would please reread my initial post I clearly state the trouble shooting procedure I am following. The first step is not to replace the Alt at first sign of trouble.