• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 light staying on after shutdown

86Chev1028

A few days ago after using my 1028, I shut off the truck and all was fine then the gen 1 light came on and even after removing the key would not shut off. I restarted the truck, then shut her down to see if it would come back on. After about 4 seconds or so after shutdown, the light comes back on and won't shut off. I disconnected the batteries to prevent them from draining. I searched for other instances of this problem with no luck, anyone ever hear/experience this???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing I would check is, a good engine ground connection. At the alt, engine to cab or frame. Try adding a jumper wire from a clean spot on the intake to the front bat neg terminal. See if the light goes out.

If that doesn't change anything, rebuild your alt.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad rectifier in the alternator will cause a simular problem.

Follow Dogheads advice, check the connections and order a rebuld kit.

86Chev1028

I'll give the jumper trick a go, I had wanted to get the alternators rebuilt since I bought the truck a little more than a year ago so if it doesn't go out, no biggie, time for a rebuild. I want to keep this beaut running strong for a long time. Thanks for the replies!

86Chev1028

So I had a local shop rebuild the alternators. $115 a piece, guess that's around mid-range from what I've seen on here. They were done the same day too, can't complain about that. I would've rather gave it a go rebuilding it myself but don't quite have the time to wait for a kit to come in and take my time with rebuilding it at the moment.
I have two extras that came with the truck, so it'd be a good winter project to rebuild one of those. Nothing like knowing you have a good working spare on hand. Now some new belts and let her work!

jholler

My 1009 started doing this this morning, but the oil light also comes on after shutdown. I HOPE this means nothing but a grounding problem....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad ground is just one possibility. More likely there is an internal issue with your alt. Here's a snippet from the AC Delco manual.

Attachments

86Chev1028

Got the rebuilt alts in today along with all new belts and two refurbished group 31's from Interstate, running like a top once again! Next job- replace a muffler and get the revolving light on the roof for plowing :D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job!!! [thumbzup]

Did the rebuild shop happen to say what the problem was?

86Chev1028

Thanks! I asked them but they said since they were replacing all the replaceable parts that they just ripped everything out and put new stuff in so didn't bother to check.