• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEN 2 Isolated Ground Check

aembry1009

I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered, but I have read countless topics and not found my answer..

I am simply trying to verify that the isolated ground is properly set up before putting power back to everything. Working on M1009 GEN 2 circuit.

Both alternators are installed into the truck. Why do I have reservations? The quality of the work done by POs is the reason and the alternators look to be fresh rebuilds.

I have measured resistance from alternator studs to case and determine that the circuit is closed, but I don't know if that is a proper way to check that the ground is isolated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be no continuity between the ground stud and the case.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize in advance if this has been previously covered, but I have read countless topics and not found my answer..

I am simply trying to verify that the isolated ground is properly set up before putting power back to everything. Working on M1009 GEN 2 circuit.

Both alternators are installed into the truck. Why do I have reservations? The quality of the work done by POs is the reason and the alternators look to be fresh rebuilds.

I have measured resistance from alternator studs to case and determine that the circuit is closed, but I don't know if that is a proper way to check that the ground is isolated.
Isolated ground means exactly that. The ground terminal on the alternator should be isolated from the alternator case. There is a link to my alternator rebuild thread in my signature. There are pictures that will help you understand how everything goes together.

aembry1009

Thank you all for the confirmation. Better safe than sorry! Sorting this jewel one system at a time. Many thanks to the wonderful contributors to this board, as it's already proven helpful to me in addressing the many needs of this truck. I've been a lurker for a while now.