• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEN 2 lamp went on while driving.

edpdx

Both GEN lamps light at start up- GEN 2 lamp went on during a drive yesterday- and stayed lit. Been getting readings this morning:

I could use some input here on my results, please.

I just noticed that the front passenger side plug wire had come off of the glow plug- as I remember: Yesterday on the freeway, when the GEN 2 Light came on I noticed a miss developed. I'm heading back out to see if the failed connection caused the GEN 2 Lamp to light up???

Do both GEN lights come on when you turn the key to RUN? YES

Is you truck wiring bone stock or has it been modified? No resistors when purchased- otherwise stock (Doghead relay done)

Remove the 2 pin plug from the alternators and check the voltages. Fill in the blanks.

GEN1 - drivers side
key OFF
small red wire - 12.5 volts
small brown wire - 0.0 volts
Key ON
small red wire - 12.0 volts
small brown wire - 11.9 volts

GEN2 - passenger side
key OFF
small red wire - 12.4 volts
small brown wire - 00.3 volts
Key ON
small red wire - 12.2 volts
small brown wire - 11.8

How do the plugs look? very dirty? corroded? Not checked yet

Battery Voltage - check at the battery terminals of each battery. Don't use the truck for ground.
truck off
front - 12.4 V
rear -12.3V
truck running
front - 14.3V
rear 12.2 V

Batteries: Across both: 26.5 Running/ 24.7 IGN OFF
Rear Batt 12.4 OFF
Frnt Batt 12.3 OFF

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think the glow plug wire will turn on anything since it only gets power when the glow plugs are on plus the wire itself is a fusible link...with that being said the glow plug wire could be burned if it was touching ground when you cold started. As far as the charging my guess is regulator since you have the correct power to the regulator but I'd do the alternator test in the sticky of the cucv section. You've all but done the run test of it already.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How’s the belt/tension? I’ve had that happen where it was slipping just a hair and it made the light come on

edpdx

adf5565, I haven't learned in all the years to check to make sure there is gas in the lawn mower before taking the carb apart. Sad.
I read in another post earlier that the belt tension could be loose. I remembered a tool fell into the moving fan last week when I was doing some work on a leaking injector nipple cap. I went out to check tension and there was no belt on the #2 ALT! I am guessing that the tool damaged the belt and it blew on the freeway yesterday- never heard it snap or wrap?!?

I have a belt (new) to go on in the morning. I am betting that this will fix the problem.

Many thanks to you all who have suffered through my oversight.

Thanks for all helpful comments.

Lothar

adf5565, I haven't learned in all the years to check to make sure there is gas in the lawn mower before taking the carb apart. Sad.
I read in another post earlier that the belt tension could be loose. I remembered a tool fell into the moving fan last week when I was doing some work on a leaking injector nipple cap. I went out to check tension and there was no belt on the #2 ALT! I am guessing that the tool damaged the belt and it blew on the freeway yesterday- never heard it snap or wrap?!?

I have a belt (new) to go on in the morning. I am betting that this will fix the problem.

Many thanks to you all who have suffered through my oversight.

Thanks for all helpful comments.
I envy the easy fix brought on by an obvious oversight. Could use a couple of those right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks