• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 2 light flashing

bryab123

let me start out by saying when i turn the switch on in my truck both gen lights come on, after i start it sometimes they come back on but go off as soon as you rev the engine. then the other day i replaced the batteries and had one of the batteries turned around backwards and touched the terminals for jut a second and i new something was wrong because a little smoke was coming from the passenger side alternator. i quickly fixed the battery but now when i am driving it at speeds above 45mph the gen 2 light flashes, but the volt gauge shows good. did i fry my alternator? or what should i fix or do first?

Somemedic

Dont sound good. Id watch ebay for a CUCV alt. Never hurts to have one on standby anyway.

I would however check all grounds and they would be tight and spotless. See if that doesnt correct the alt light from coming on.

pc3nmcb

My GEN 2 light was doing that so I checked voltage output and batteries, turned out when I reved engine the belt would jump. I put a new belt on it problem solved. The old belt wouldn't stay tight, I guess it was stretching.

bryab123

ok i checked it with the voltmeter and its charging 14.9 at the first gen and 29.9 at the second gen. that was at an idle and high rpms with the gen 2 light flashing still. any tips?

Somemedic

Mangus....? Hes a regular CUCV master and so is that CCatlett guy. They will tell you to clean and tighten all ground wires and make sure your positive treminals are tight as well. If nothing else its really cheap as opposed to the other ideas.

cucvdude

Hello everybody i'm new here, my gen 2 light flashes only at idle and when i am braking on my 1986 M1009? I just changed all belts, I'm getting all correct voltages, can anybody help pls?

blitzengine

Flashing gen 2 light

I am new member here to SS and I am very impressed with SS, keep up the good work. I have gathered here alot of info to help me to better understand and troubshoot my 84 M1009. After reading through the treads and gathering information I was able to get my GEN 2 light to come on and get my charging system to work again. The problem was a bad generator 2 relay under the dash, it was clicking but was not sending power to the passanger alternator. Now I am faced with another dilema, the Gen 2 light flashes at high rpms and when I use the brake at idle. When I turn on the lights it stops flashing. I have checked the grounds, the belts and the voltage meters is in the green. Can anyone help me find a solution to this problem? Any help is greatly apreciated, Thanks in advance. [thumbzup]