• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light flickering, M1009

CycleJay

Hi all,

Lately my truck has been running fine.
But tonight on the way home from work,
the Gen 2 light started flickering, and the voltmeter needle started moving
to the red line on the right side of the meter.

Now what is going bad, the gen 2 alternator, one of the batteries, or what?

I already checked the belts, they are both nice and tight and fairly new
and in great shape..

What might be going bad? What should I check?

I am eager and willing to learn to fix all that goes wrong with this M1009,
unless it is flat out over my head.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

CJ

lindyp38

as i understand it....it could be a number of things.........batteries......alternators......gen light bulb..........

i did a search here for mine...and i was able to read a few posts......on the subject........

im glad that there are a ton of helpful people here....who will offer their experience in helping u.....

good luck

CycleJay

Hello Lindy,
Thank you for the message and information, you are right, people here are helpful.

To me it seems like the bulb, as it comes on normally when I start the truck,
stays off when running, but it just flickering tonight and at the same time the voltmeter needle dips to the right.

Thanks

CJ

jeeplvr247

Just swap the gen 1 bulb and the gen 2 bulb. I wish my gen 2 light would flicker, it never comes on and my voltmeter is dead too. I did have a charging problem with gen 1 and was able to find more than enough information to fix it on the site, there are lots of posts on the cucv electrical issues

Hasdrubal

I have an occasional slight flickering of my Gen2 light at idle. Its my understanding that is caused by the #2 alternator diode trio. Haven't taken it apart to replace it as its still charging perfect. But your voltmeter showing charging in the red sure sounds like alt rebuild time ....

Frank404s

Hi folks over there,
I'm Frank and a owner of an M1028 Cucv since about 4 weeks.

First I have to apologise for my bad English language knowledge. I'm no native speaker as I am German...

I'm very happy with that truck!
I now have the problem, that my GEN 2 light starts flashing at high engine RPMs.
When I switch the lights on or slightly remove the accelerator pedal (drop RPMs a bit) the light stops flickering.
Both alternators are working (checked with a voltmeter), the belts are tightened.
Could the cause be a bit to high output / voltage from the 2nd alternator?

I did read several long and very interseting threads regarding Alternator problems here but I didn't find a answer to my problem (maybe I didn't understand everything)

What do you guys recommend me to check next?

Please see this video I uploaded to youtube (sorry for the BAD quality):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVSKNf7xTs[/media]

Thanks and kind regards,
Frank

Frank404s

Hi,
THANKS for your help!

That was the first thing I did here @ Steelsolidiers (downloading the TMs) :idea::)

I did already have a short look in the materials and will spend way more time doing that...
My problem is, that this is much more timeconsuming as you can imagine - because of my trouble with the english language...
:?

That was the reason for asking here - maybe somebody was faced with the same problem...

Thanks,
Frank

760gamemaster

My problem is a little different Just after startup my Gen2 light will flicker and the voltmeter jump down and up and I hear a rapid clicking from the dash. It the goes away and works and charges normally even for hours if driven. Usual checks good I suspect the relay but would the light not stay off if it was the relay. Thanks in advance.

cpf240

My problem is a little different Just after startup my Gen2 light will flicker and the voltmeter jump down and up and I hear a rapid clicking from the dash. It the goes away and works and charges normally even for hours if driven. Usual checks good I suspect the relay but would the light not stay off if it was the relay. Thanks in advance.
Was it cold out? Is the glow plug wiring stock? If so, then my guess would be you are hearing the glow plug relay chatter, and seeing the resultant on/off load displayed on the voltmeter, and perhaps loading GEN 2 enough to cause the light to flicker.

760gamemaster

Chilly about 25 degrees. I have cut the wire from the resistor and run the glow plug relay to the 12 volt block I to thought that to be the problem since my wait light was being funky also but I installed an Antenna Climber card and now the wait light works right but maybe the gp relay is going bad but it is only 2 years old.