• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light off then on

UNIMOG-GUY

Guys after reading as many Gen 2 light threads as I could I still haven't found anyone who has the same problem I am having. I would appreciate any and all help.

Key in ignition idiot lights come on (oil, water, wait) Gen 1light is on Gen 2 light is off. Volt gauge off below the red. Wait 20-30 seconds and the Gen 2 light comes on and the volt gauge goes up to normal. When you turn the key nothing happens. Starter doesn't engage. And you return to the Gen 1 light on Gen 2 light off. Wait 20-30 seconds and the Gen 2 light comes on and the volt gauge goes up to normal.

I just replaced the GPR with Napa ST-85 since I had the black plastic original military relay. I replaced it after I had the problem. Got in the truck same problem as before nothing has changed. Tomorrow I am going to do the "Doghead Mod" to see if it has any effect.

If you have any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Barrman

When you swap out the starter relay, put a volt meter on the purple with white stripe wire. Turn the key to start and see if you get 12 volts on that wire. It sure reads to me as if your ignition switch isn't adjusted correctly or is just bad.

Fix the starter issues first. Then the glow plug issues and then worry about the alternators. Do them 1 problem at a time.

UNIMOG-GUY

Yep it was the batteries...I put 2 brand new yellow top optimas in (which were in my 404) and now she starts up and runs. I guess I should have started with the batteries. But then again it did force me to swap out the starter relay and the glow plug relay. So all in all I'm glad it happened.

Thanks again for the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another battery issue resolved. Good Job.

I try to spread this word, "before starting any electrical troubleshoouting, make sure the batteries are fully charged and load tested".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks