• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light Off

motormayhem

For the last 2 years my m1009's Gen 2 light as flickered on and off while driving. Recently the light has stopped working altogether. It does not come on with the gen 1 light when the ignition is on. I checked the two relays under the dash and they both are switching and I swapped the one for the voltmeter and the one for gen 2 and nothing changed. I did some searching and checked voltages:

-Front (engine running) 14.0V
-Rear (engine running) 12.6V
-Gen 2, 2 wire plug on alt - 25V on both wires with ignition on

Am I supposed to have power on both wires at that plug on gen 2 when the gen 2 light is not working? What else is there to check?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have voltage on both wires of the 2pin plug (24v) with the key on, one of the fusible links on the GEN2 system may be bad.

There is one coming off the 12v terminal block and attaches to the "ground" terminal

and one at the 24v terminal block and attaches to the positive terminal post of GEN2

motormayhem

If you have voltage on both wires of the 2pin plug (24v) with the key on, one of the fusible links on the GEN2 system may be bad.

There is one coming off the 12v terminal block and attaches to the "ground" terminal

and one at the 24v terminal block and attaches to the positive terminal post of GEN2
I will check those when I get home. I checked voltage on the positive post of the alt grounded to chassis and it was 26.4v. Should it be making power between the ground terminal and positive terminal of the alt with the exciter having power and a fuseable like broken. Just so I can measure that when I get back. And lastly should I have continuity between the two spade terminals the 2 wire plug connects to? My gen 1 shows about .015 while gen 2 shows .103. If I ground gen 2 exciter wire at plug to negative side of rear battery gen 2 light comes on.

Thanks

motormayhem

Just checked everything else. Between ground post and positive post on gen 2 getting 12.5V running. There is continuity between 24V block and positive terminal on alt and 12V block and ground side of alt. I guess all this means internal problem with alternator and I need to take it out for repair?

Thanks