• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 lightbulb 24v?

MTMUDRUNNER

I have done some searching and can not find the answer ( I'm sure it is out there). I have power to the dash light for the gen 2 but the bulb doesnt light up. I swiched bulbs to one I know is working. When I put the volt meter in where the bulb goes gen 2 reads 24.2v and gen 1 reads 12v, first is this correct . Next I tested each alt 2prong connections on the alts Gen1 key off red 12.4, key on brown 8.8, Gen 2 off red 24.3 on brown 0. What should I do next? What is the corredt bulb for gen2 I have 168 in the others?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GEN2 bulb should be a 194 3w bulb. the 168s are 5w. (you can find the bulb numbers in the parts manuals)

Next time you take it out, check the socket itself. The tabs are know to get dirty, bend, corrode etc.

The GEN2 bulb is part of a 24v circuit. Here is the path:

(You have read the first few pages of the troubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual haven't you? This tells you how to read the wiring diagrams.)

1 - Power from the 24v fuse thru the orange wire .8 ORN-922 to the connector plug for the instrument cluster
2 - From the connector plug, thru the circuit board to the bulb and back to the connector
3 - From the connector to the GEN2 relay at the center of the dash. It is mounted to the plate along with the Voltmeter Relay and the Starter relay. The wire brown with a red stripe. 1 BRN/RED-920
4 - When the key is on, the relay is energized and aloows current to flow from the relay to the GEN2 Diode at the top of the dash via the brown wire 1 BRN-25Z
5 - From the diode current flow to the firewall connector via the other brown wire
6 - From the other half of the firewall connector current flows from the connector to the GEN2 via the brown wire 1 BRN-25Z (sxl)

So there are alot of things to check. Start with the fuse, then the bulb and socket, the circuit board (many times it has a bad copper connector), the relay, the diode and of course the wiring itself.

Another problem area is the firewall connector. GM used some type of grease during assembly. With 25+ years of heat, cold, neglect, the grease has turned into a tar like substance. Sometimes it will interfer with electrical flow. A good cleaning may be inorder.

Attachments

Last edited:

ReubenJames

Not wanting to Hi-Jack the thread but I just wanted to personally thank Warthog for all the sound advice on many topics. I bookmark alot of threads that I may need in the future and the vast majority problems are solved by Warthog or Doghead. Not to say that others are helpful but these two guys seem to go above and beyond. If I every hit the lottery and get a chance to start my own personal motorpool of green iron I would love to hire these guys to help me attend to the my vehicles.

MTMUDRUNNER

Not wanting to Hi-Jack the thread but I just wanted to personally thank Warthog for all the sound advice on many topics. I bookmark alot of threads that I may need in the future and the vast majority problems are solved by Warthog or Doghead. Not to say that others are helpful but these two guys seem to go above and beyond. If I every hit the lottery and get a chance to start my own personal motorpool of green iron I would love to hire these guys to help me attend to the my vehicles.
Well said, every problem I have had I get a answer that steers me in the right direction with turn by turn instructions I am getting closer to fixing the problems with everyones help on here thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks