• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 problem-diagnosis??

TedO

I was driving and heard a belt start squealing, then smelled burning rubber. Soon after the belt to gen 2 broke. I replaced the belt and noticed the volt meter went up to the beginning of the red. I assumed it was recharging the battery that must have been drained by the slipping belt. I also noticed a whining sound that increased with rpm that I never noticed before. A short time later, the gen 2 light came on, the volt meter dropped to the beginning of the green , and the whining sound is gone. What happened?? Do I need a rebuild for alt 2?

cucvrus

That is my guess from afar. I just had one alternator that was putting out 18.4 volts. I had it rebuilt and the problem was gone. The thing that gave me the notice was the brightness of the dash lights and the Sony kicked off above idle. Does your voltmeter show excessive charge? Could it be a shorted battery? Hard for me to tell without seeing it. I am just trying to help you out. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

TedO

That is my guess from afar. I just had one alternator that was putting out 18.4 volts. I had it rebuilt and the problem was gone. The thing that gave me the notice was the brightness of the dash lights and the Sony kicked off above idle. Does your voltmeter show excessive charge? Could it be a shorted battery? Hard for me to tell without seeing it. I am just trying to help you out. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

t was charging high, then the #2 light came on, then the volt meter dropped to just barely in the green.

Which do you suggest- the rebuild kit, Autozone or Napa alternators?

cpf240

If your truck is stock, auto parts stores are unlikely to have an isolated-ground alt for the GEN2 position. I'd rebuild the one you have, either get a kit and do it yourself, or find a local shop to rebuild it.

cucvrus

I personally opt to take my alternators and starters to a shop for rebuilding. There is more to rebuilding starters and alternators then just throwing a few failed parts in. I was amazed at the tools and equipment that is used to thoroughly rebuild the starters and alternators. Maybe that is why I have very little if any problems with the starters and alternators on my CUCV's. Only issues I cause myself is excessive mud on the engine and alternators do not like mud and water on a constant application. Each time I have them at the shop the man says it had a lot of mud inside. I am sure that does not help. But you have to pay if you want to play. the ones I keep on the road and just drive I have no problems at all.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter