• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 problems

gvaneck

Hey I'm a new m1009 owner and when I got the truck the gen 2 light, water in fuel and wait light were working and so was the voltmeter. After installing oil press and water temp gauges none of them work anymore. It sounds like I have the same problem as him. I replaced the voltmeter fuse and the gen 2 bulb and it didn't fix the problem. I checked the voltage at the voltmeter wire and it says 24 when ignition is not on. I haven't checked voltage anywere else which I probably should have but I'm away from my vehicle til monday . I've searched all over and it is very helpful but I'm fairly new at this and I thought I'd be better off asking someone how to fix it rather then trying to fix it myself and messing it up even more. Sorry if that was confusing, any help would be appreciated

im having simialr issues as madman with my gen 2 so far The bulb socket and Relay seem to be alright not sure about the diode inline also i havent put my new alts on yet the pass side alt is showing 25.6 running the driver side is showing 14 volts so im kinda lost i still havint seen my gen 2 light come on yet :wink:Im curious also to some answers The tms are great but i have always thought if u could get a straight answer it would be better in the long run lol

1stSarge

If the bulb and socket are good, then alt2 probably needs help. Been well covered, so just pointing you in that direction. Specifically the diode trio or regulator in alt2.

Don’t forget cleaning the connections on the alt, and looking for shorts.

Stihl029

I have some input for members troubleshooting as well.

I have been chasing my tail because I refused to believe that my pass alternator was bad.
indications were as follows:

key in igintion on, dummy lights for alt1, alt 2 and oil illuminated
note alt 2 dim, half the illumination as alt 1 voltage check on the lamp was 9VDC.

engine running
same dummy lights on same condition initially
then oil lamp de-energizes
rev up a few rpm Alt 1 de-energizes as well.

I chased all wires and they seemed good,
followed the DOD PS on testing and the Alt 2 illuminated super bright when grounding out...which points to alternator but my head was too thick to believe it.
Instead I cleaned wire connections and called it good.

It took some time to find the diode behind the dash, found another one lower that turned out to be part of the artic heater stuff that I had convinced myself was the correct one.

last week I pulled the dash found the diode, swapped it with a known good and the old one tested good as well. .6 and OL on my fluke 179

So on Saturday I swapped alternators...
I had attempted this before but gave up on the drivers side with all the extra crap in the way from the artic gear.
I deinstalled some gear, I plan on posting it all up soon when I have it all properly removed, caused myself a nice coolant leak in the process since a valve was stuck from corrosion.
So I got the alternators swapped and I discovered that the dimly energized alternator issue followed the alternator.

swung by Napa and tried to get a 27si, one of my friends there and I went through all the 27si's that they had and the all had covers that were stuck on where the excite plug goes. A proper reman was available in anchorage and i ordered it.
The alternator came in today and I installed it into ALT1. I did check it before I left the store and the ground IS islolated.
Now ALT 1 is wicked bright and alt 2 is bright but can be better, it must be time to rebuild my new spare, i am gonna eat the 30 dollar core so I can have a ready spare.

Cheers and I hope that this helps someone else out down the road when they are thinking that the issue just cannot be what all signs and symptoms say it is. I have spent the past year on this intermittently and have been recharging my truck on a regular basis, I am super stoked to not worry where I park after a few days of use.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks