• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen fried out on me. my options

what would you do if your gen died?

• have it rebuild

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • buy a good take out

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • go with the civi

• what ever is cheapest

• Total voters

whyme

so my gen smoked out on me a few days ago, i dont have the finances to do anything about it for a few weeks but when i do i have a few options. already tried to adjust it...

used/new old stock gen (used could die a mile after i get it on)

have mine rebuilt (might be cost prohibitive)

upgrade to a civi alt to replace it

whats the typical cost of a rebuild? used i see for ~$100 and a civi should be ~$150 with the kit and alt.

please explain your thoughts.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Memo;
This would be a Deuce generator, not a MEP-00X.

You would dedeuce that from the thread forum rather than the title or the content.

Heavysteven

I would rebuild. When I drop off anything to BP Rebuilds in Marietta Ga he calls me with a price an options first. I would look for a shop around you.

whyme

there is a place near my work, Dell Electric, im going to drop it off Monday and see what they have to say but ive been told these things can go around 200+

steelandcanvas

Instead of listening to people "quote" prices, (this guy said, that guy said) drop it off and get your own quote. If you do a search, you'll find some guys have repaired that unit themselves. One repair required a soldering iron and a $7 part. There are more options than what you listed in your poll.[thumbzup]

whyme

im currently at work but does the TM include a detailed schematic? i have a friend who is an electrical engineer, maybe i can have him test the regulator but i have nothing coming out so i assumed the is screwed up.

i was having a problem at start up with the gen squealing and putting out too much voltage but it would always subside after a few miles if i shut down the acc switch for a bit and turned it on a few miles later. i also noticed my fuel gauge was wacky starting a few weeks ago and now is back to norm since the gen died. for now i just charge the batteries at night

steelandcanvas

A buddy of mine had a generator go bad, we pulled the rubber cover off the top and found it had gotten pretty hot and melted the solder connecting the wires to the unit. We are going to re-insulate and re-solder as the genny still produced voltage. It just might be a simple fix, take it off, tear it down, and see what you have. I don't recall the TM having a schematic of the genny.

dmetalmiki

Deuce fix

My M35a2 went berserk..salution? TRUCK scrapyard.. a 24volt alternator £15 quid! and it does the same job and more ..after all what are running? radios? workshop? radar? NO.. and who looks under the bonnet (hood) anywaze? at shows? (and would know the difference?) go FUNCTIONALITY and reasnable function/price..good luck..tiz N' easy and Cheap/er fix.

Last edited:

machinist75

I bought a civy retrofit from wolverine tech. They give a Ss discount if you mention it. They even threw in a rebuild kit free of charge. Install was a breeze.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks