• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen sets MEP need advice

Ok so i bought a HDT Hvac/ heater unit to run for a military tent that i havent bought yet or found yet. Im looking for a MEP-Gen set to run this unit and other electronics inside the tent as well, tv, laptops, cell phones, radios and chargers. What MEP generator do i need for this setup?
MEP-803B?
MEP-803A? DIFFERENCE BETWEEN (A) & (B)
do i need just 3 phase or would you recommend 1 phase 2 phase and 3 phase.
also (important) we have power outages and want to also use the genset for our RV camper for emergencies
MEP-804A?
MEP-804B?
Some gen sets say 50/60hz and some just say 60hz?
I am stummped on this one??
please help. Thank you

Attachments

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To get started. most military generators will either run 50hz european standard or 60hz US just need to flip a switch or if you buy certain generators such as and mep 813 that would be a 400hz unit which would be a boat anchor accept for airplane and radar stuff... No such animal as an 803b. couple of issues most all generators 5kw and above with either provide single or Three phase. an 803a is 10kw. the unit you are trying to run i can not see the amp requirements on the tag to give an idea of size generator. Other issue is this is a 3 phase hvac unit so to run other items in the tent you would need a phase converter or another Generator. Someone will jump in here with a lot more knowledge than me but this is a start.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Answering the definitive question need more information like how many watts and at what voltage the heater draws. The rest sounds like pretty light duty. I can speak to the differences between MEP-804A and B. It’s the engine. The former is Isuzu and the latter is Yanmar. As for 1-phase vs 3-phase, it sounds like you’d be happiest with single phase, which rules out MEP-803 and 804. BTW - there’s no such thing as 2-phase.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Answering the definitive question need more information like how many watts and at what voltage the heater draws. The rest sounds like pretty light duty. I can speak to the differences between MEP-804A and B. It’s the engine. The former is Isuzu and the latter is Yanmar. As for 1-phase vs 3-phase, it sounds like you’d be happiest with single phase, which rules out MEP-803 and 804. BTW - there’s no such thing as 2-phase.
803 is single or three phase. once you go over a 10kw military generator they are three phase only

To get started. most military generators will either run 50hz european standard or 60hz US just need to flip a switch or if you buy certain generators such as and mep 813 that would be a 400hz unit which would be a boat anchor accept for airplane and radar stuff... No such animal as an 803b. couple of issues most all generators 5kw and above with either provide single or Three phase. an 803a is 10kw. the unit you are trying to run i can not see the amp requirements on the tag to give an idea of size generator. Other issue is this is a 3 phase hvac unit so to run other items in the tent you would need a phase converter or another Generator. Someone will jump in here with a lot more knowledge than me but this is a start.
Iv already made that mistake. Paid $5100+ taxes and fees then $1900 delivery $8k total in a MEP- 813a 400hz. (Mistake) re-sold for $3,000 big loss. Guy who bought it runs 400hz on his equipment.
Now I'm trying to replace it with the right one.

The hvac unit you can't see the amps cause it's not printed on the unit.
Most of the gen-set units all have regular plug-ins on the outside of the unit. Couldn't I just run a extension cord to run the TV and other stuff?

The hvac unit is at 208v/3 phase.
The mep-803 & 804 have Receptacles plugins on the outside, wouldn't that work as far as 120v power to TV, laptop, lights and Stuff while running 3 phase to hvac?
FYI the hvac unit plaque never showed watts or amps.

Attachments

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hvac unit is at 208v/3 phase.
The mep-803 & 804 have Receptacles plugins on the outside, wouldn't that work as far as 120v power to TV, laptop, lights and Stuff while running 3 phase to hvac?
FYI the hvac unit plaque never showed watts or amps.
The convenience outlet is 10-ampa on the MEP-804. It’ll work if that’s all you need. 60,000 BTU is about 5-kW (KiloWatts) so a smaller unit is all that you need. You’ll want a little reserve to handle compressor startup surge so maybe hunt down a 10-kW unit. I don’t think there’s anything between 5kW and 10-kW, 3-phase that’s readily available. You could post a wanted thread in that forum. Maybe someone has something refurbed and ready to go. Wait for a couple of others to weigh in because they know more about HVAC startup surge than I do.

Last edited:
The convenience outlet is 10-ampa on the MEP-804. It’ll work if that’s all you need. 60,000 BTU is about 5-kW (KiloWatts) so a smaller unit is all that you need. You’ll want a little reserve to handle compressor startup surge so maybe hunt down a 10-kW unit. I don’t think there’s anything between 5kW and 10-kW, 3-phase that’s readily available. You could post a wanted thread in that forum. Maybe someone has something refurbed and ready to go. Wait for a couple of others to weigh in because they know more about HVAC startup surge than I do.
I looked up a similar unit on HDT website and their 63,000btu (kinda like mine just a hair bigger) unit runs like 10,675watts (something like that).
That's why I started looking at 15kw units to run hvac and have a little room for electronics and lights. So I figured a 803 or 804 would work. I just wanted to make sure that if I have the generator set to 3 phase running hvac, that I can still plug into the Receptacle plugins on the outside for lights and electronics and not blow anything up while 3 phase says 120/208v 3 phase. Don't quote me but I think that's what I saw. Some units have 50/60hz while some just have 60hz. The hvac also says 50/60hz So I'm assuming either setting is fine

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked up a similar unit on HDT website and their 63,000btu (kinda like mine just a hair bigger) unit runs like 10,675watts (something like that).
That's why I started looking at 15kw units to run hvac and have a little room for electronics and lights. So I figured a 803 or 804 would work. I just wanted to make sure that if I have the generator set to 3 phase running hvac, that I can still plug into the Receptacle plugins on the outside for lights and electronics and not blow anything up while 3 phase says 120/208v 3 phase. Don't quote me but I think that's what I saw. Some units have 50/60hz while some just have 60hz. The hvac also says 50/60hz So I'm assuming either setting is fine
I could easily be wrong about the wattage. If you're correct then you want the MEP-804 because of compressor surge current. @peapvp may check in tonight or next couple of days. He's got a strong background on electrical requirements and gen sets. You'll want to run the generator at60 Hz for US equipment. Both the 803 and 804 are three phase only. You can still run your single phase equipment on one leg to neutral.

I'm curious why you need such a big HVAC unit for a tent. May I ask that you describe a little more about your application?

Last edited:

Ray70

As for the 120V single phase, yes you will have 10A available at the outlet. You also have 120V single phase available between any of the 3 hot lugs and L0 as well as 208 ( not quite 240 but close enough for most devices ) single phase between any 2 of the hot lugs.
If you're using 3 phase for your AC unit you can easily hook up additional outlets to the appropriate lugs to get you additional 120/208 single phase if the 10A outlet is not enough. Just remember to include the appropriate size breaker / fuse in your setup, if you're plugging things directly into outlets that are hard wired to the lugs.
Run your machine on 60hz. if you get a 50/60 model. Your AC unit may not care, but additional items you hook up later on might.... like your fridge!

I could easily be wrong about the wattage. If you're correct then you want the MEP-804 because of compressor surge current. @peapvp may check in tonight or next couple of days. He's got a strong background on electrical requirements and gen sets. You'll want to run the generator at60 Hz for US equipment. Both the 803 and 804 are three phase only. You can still run your single phase equipment on one leg to neutral.

I'm curious why you need such a big HVAC unit for a tent. May I ask that you describe a little more about your application?
Well I really didn't have a choice on the HVAC, it was in a auction, I just got what I could get my hands on. The tent we will use will probably be an Alaskan AF Structures Tent which is Huge but they run $6500 and up used.

Quick search showed the 60k EEECU draws 10.7kw in cooling mode and 12.2kw in heating mode.

You would be best off with the MEP-804 series generator at 15kw 3 phase to operate it, or find a DRASH/HDT gen/trailer unit with the 18kw generator.

View attachment 883484
Agreed...
But could I still plug into the outlets on the front of the 804 for 120v 60hz for lights and powering electronics while it's running the 3 phase HVAC at the same time?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed...
But could I still plug into the outlets on the front of the 804 for 120v 60hz for lights and powering electronics while it's running the 3 phase HVAC at the same time?
Yes, you can, but that is called the "convenience outlet" and as stated before, only has a 10 amp rating. You're much better off making some pigtails from extension cord and wiring directly to the output lugs to neutral, so likely 3 or maybe 6 depending on your number and size of loads.

The front outlet will always produce 120V no matter what the voltage selector switch it set to.

Yes, you can, but that is called the "convenience outlet" and as stated before, only has a 10 amp rating. You're much better off making some pigtails from extension cord and wiring directly to the output lugs to neutral, so likely 3 or maybe 6 depending on your number and size of loads.

The front outlet will always produce 120V no matter what the voltage selector switch it set to.
Oh Okay gotcha.
Thank you.

Guyfang

Staff member

Why is that? The Military has/uses a distribution system, the hooks to the gen set, and allows you to power 3 phase and single phase equipment. The attached TM is for reference only. Its too big for your generator, its just to give you a place to start. There are several different kinds of Distro-Systems. You just need to find one the right size. If you know someone who is qualified, have them make one. This is not Rocket Science. Using the schematic as a reference, building something for your generator should not be hard. I wont say cheap, as I have no idea what the parts would cost. But its got to be cheaper then converting or buying transformers. Most of the newer Distro-Systems have TM's that are not coded for public release.
Open to read

Attachments

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter

OMGosh…. Please, please, please mind your grounding and use a 15 or 20 amp GFCI CIRCUIT BREAKER!

Guyfang

Staff member
Sadly, on the gen sets, the GFI only works for the 120 volt outlet. The Distro-System, or some of them, have a GFI in them for some output circuits. I would say, 99.99% of the time I got bit by a gen set, it sure did not have anything to do with the 120 volt outs. Was always the main load output. I always found that strange.