• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen1 & Gen2 dummy lights

broknindarkagain

Both of the alternator dummy lights on my dash use to light up when I first started the truck. Now only the Gen1 light illuminates....but when the truck is running my volt meter shows in the green (after a few minutes of running and the belt stops slipping lol)

Most vehicles I've worked on in the past will not charge if the charging system bulb is missing, blown out, has bad contact, etc. With this light not working but my voltage meter in the green while I'm running, is it still possible that my second alternator is not putting out a charge because this bulb is not working. I did pull the cluster yesterday and clean all the contacts on the printed circuit and bend all the prongs for the light sockets out so they get better contact (and a bunch of stuff magically started working after! LOL)....so I'm pretty certain that light is getting a good connection. The bulb checked good too.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a multimeter to check the voltage at both batteries with the engine not running and with it running. That will tell you if the alternator is self exciting.

rlltide12

I had this same problem even after cleaning the tabs. Don't sweat it, if you are in the green and have somewhere between 27-29 volts across the two batteries, you are good. Mine just magically started working one day and have never stopped haha.

broknindarkagain

Yeah I'm in the green on the voltage gauge. When I first start it up it stays in the yellow for a bit and the belts squeal, but once it warms up the gauge jumps to the green as soon as the belt quiets down. I need to get in and sand all the pulleys and adjust the belts.

Monkeyboyarmy

Just because the needle is in the green doesn't mean that both alternators are charging. Check each battery with a volt meter. They should be between 13.8 and 14.8.

epitts

So since I bought my truck I have a had a small problem. When I turned on the lights or heater there would be slight glow from the GEN 1 light. So after doing some reading I ran through the test procedures to check the alternators. One plug fell a part when removed, so I spliced in a new plug from the parts store. I then cleaned the wire connections and grounds on GEN 1 and 2. Start the truck turn on the lights and heater, no glow from GEN 1 light. Also volt meter is mid way in the green now. And a bonus was found, my radio now works better. Before I would have a problem pickup a certain station out side in the drive now I could pick it up in the garage loud and clear. So if you are having problems don't forget to clean the ground and power leads on both GENs.

CUCVLOVER

So since I bought my truck I have a had a small problem. When I turned on the lights or heater there would be slight glow from the GEN 1 light. So after doing some reading I ran through the test procedures to check the alternators. One plug fell a part when removed, so I spliced in a new plug from the parts store. I then cleaned the wire connections and grounds on GEN 1 and 2. Start the truck turn on the lights and heater, no glow from GEN 1 light. Also volt meter is mid way in the green now. And a bonus was found, my radio now works better. Before I would have a problem pickup a certain station out side in the drive now I could pick it up in the garage loud and clear. So if you are having problems don't forget to clean the ground and power leads on both GENs.
I don't mean this to come across as a hijack.
Thank you so much for the info.
I drove my truck at night the other day and with the head lights on, heater on high, and wipers on, and I noticed the light was barely lite and my volt gauge has always been just in the green. I will be checking out the alt plugs in the couple days.
I know this isn't my thread but thanks for the info.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks