• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen2 light flickering

txmytx_catahoula

Does anyone else's Gen2 light flicker on after start-up, right after the glow plugs recycle? This started a couple of months ago. Gen2 light comes on with the key, off at start-up. Voltmeter drops as glow plugs start recycle and rises as they end recycle. That is when the Gen2 light comes on. After the glow plug recycle is done the light does not come on again.

Gen2 replaced with used(31k miles reportedly) alternator about 3 months ago. 2 new and charged group 31 batteries(1000 cca each). Resistor bypass done, with 60g plugs. Contacts cleaned. Thread search completed without any matchs I could find. Trouble shooting in TM's read and I don't think any of them applied to this.

As I said, the Gen2 light doesn't come back on after the engine warms and I've been running it back an forth to work for two solid weeks without any other issues. I'm figuring I'll be rebuilding this Gen2 along with another replacement soon.

txmytx_catahoula

Would that be the one on the left or right?? :p With the fast idle on, it pretty much takes care of itself. It's the "something new" that always gets my attention. Thought it might be a loose belt so I've tightened them up, but still going on. Thanks for the input!

M1008driver

Tm 9-2320-289-10

1. Gen 1 and gen 2 lights. On all models except the m1010 ambulance, generator lights come on when ignition key is in the “on” position, but before engine isstarted. After engine starts, lights should go out and remain out. If either or both lights remain on after engine starts, press accelerator and let engine return to idle. If lights remain on or come on during operation of truck, immediately shut down engine and notify your supervisor. M1010 ambulance has no generator warning lights

mistaken1

It only flickers at idle right after startup?

No flickering any other time?

May need to rebuild that passenger alternator. Search for warthogs posts about the rebuild kits.

txmytx_catahoula

It only flickers at idle right after startup?

No flickering any other time?

May need to rebuild that passenger alternator. Search for warthogs posts about the rebuild kits.
Both are correct. The rebuild was what I was figuring on even though the replacement only had 31k reported miles on it. I thought I'd double check with y'all before I tore into them.

Thanks!!

combatmech

Mine flickers with lights and heater fan going at idle only. Turn blower fan down to one notch above off, and it stops. Both of the the 1009's I've owned flickered with electrical system "loaded up"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks