• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Checkout on HMMWV's

Barron

I took delivery today of two slant back units for the local sheriff's dept to check out before they use them. They both have 600 some miles on the odometer, very nice shape, one an 87 model with V-belts, one an 09' model with the serpentine belt. Both are set up for the .50 and have nice ring mounts. I did a general service check of the fluids and lubricated all the suspension and drivelines.
The 09' wouldn't steer or stop off the trailer, it was low on power steering fluid and functions fine now. Is there anything else I need to look at before I turn them over?
I like the 09' a lot better with the overdrive and better driver seat. I think I need to keep it. Both units have 200 amp alternators.
Any advice you may have will be appreciated.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Half shaft bolts..... All of them. Check them, lock tite them, retighten to spec, and recheck often. You don't want to find out the hard way what happens when a half shaft comes undone at road speed. Trust me.. I have seen it happen in the army. It's not pretty or cheap to repair.

TedG

On the 87, check the bolt that holds the halfshaft in the hub. Change hub oil and check the spindle for being loose. Older hmmwv's can loose the spindle with tire attached if assembled incorrectly. Check and or replace the glow plugs, get the newer type that do not break or swell. Also, if your control box has a separate harness for the just the glow plugs and one for the engine (LAU is manufacturer), remove immediately and replace with latest style EESS. Finally make sure it has the engine grounding harness that ties the control box, generator, firewall ground lug, lr engine head and starter ground together.

I checked over our local PD hmmwv and found these issues with an 87. It is nice to see that some of the trucks get used instead of scrapped!

Barron

Holy Cow, Thanks guys!, I'm a 5 ton guy, and these things have stuff so packed together they look like a mess.

Flyingvan911

You need to find some rough terrain and test them there. It is just the prudent thing to do. You know, make sure they are up to peak performance. I recommend doing the offroad check every weekend you can. :driver:

Those look nice.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet. I agree with Flyingvan911. You really should give them a good off-road once over. It really is the BEST way to show support for your local sheriff's department. :wink:

And, take lots of pics while you are at it!:D

Barron

I took them both out, the 87 is a dog compared to the 09'. different transmissions I guess, I did the steepest hills I could find, no problem. It was the first time for me to drive one, Kinda hard to get in and drive if you're tall. I like the overdrive. The underbody on the 09' was clean, it had never even been dirty, all nice and shiny and clean. 623 on the odometer. I'll have to apologize for not saying what county, there were 60 delivered for AZ counties, and I know some were still putting in requests. I'm sorry, I didn't get any pictures, but it was fun putting them thru some paces.

Barron

I thought so too on the number. I'm not sure what delivered them, it looked like a guard truck to me too.

TedG

The one near me had to be personally signed by the Chief. If/when he leaves, he has to return it or the new guy has to personally sign for it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just CURIOUS what is the need for ring mounts, unless thay think things are going to get A LOT WORSE, sorta like the black TSA urban warfare MRAPs that police departments are getting, looks like someone is UP arming for an event like maybe MARSHIAL LAW

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks