• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Deuce Questions

LuckyBambu

So I'm 16 years old and will probably end up getting a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for my first car. Leather seats, etc. The problem is, that I seem to have picked up Green Iron Disease out of nowhere.

Soo... I really want to get a deuce! :D Just a few things get in my way. I happen to live in the middle of suburbia, so basically all I have is a garage and a driveway. And from what I hear, we have some subdivision beautification thing going on that might prevent me from getting a deuce.

Who wouldn't think one is beautiful, really?

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get around this problem? I really really want to get a deuce, they're so awesome.

I don't suppose it's practical as a daily driver? How do they handle in the snow?

Blood_of_Tyrants

With anything other than the stock tires, they are great in the snow.

But at 16, you are better off getting one of the diesel powered GMC trucks that the military used in the 80's, after the Jeep and before the Hummers. That is what gimpyrob is referring to as a CUCV.

LuckyBambu

If I'm correct, a bobbed deuce is with one of the rear axels removed and it significantly shortened, correct?

In that case, I may have to stick with a CUCV. I don't think I could live with myself cutting apart a deuce. :-\

oldshep

get a bobbed duece i'm 17 and i'm drivin it to school tomarow. the girls will like it to . and fat chicks cant jump!!!!! good luck man!!

LuckyBambu

Re: RE: General Deuce Questions

oldshep said:
get a bobbed duece i'm 17 and i'm drivin it to school tomarow. the girls will like it to . and fat chicks cant jump!!!!! good luck man!!
Haha!

The bobbed will fit in the parking lot? You have the manual transmission on it? Does it shift smoothly? Long throw? Short? I learned to drive stick on a Nissan in the rocky mountains. :D

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a duece shifts very smooth compared to civilain trucks of about the same size and vintage. Has a very long throw compared to the Nissan.

oldshep

yeah it will fit i a parking space but i park it on the gravel lot, shifts fine( its the first stick i've really driven)

nattieleather

Get a CUCV. There are a couple in the forsale section. If you own a duce in suburbia you almost have to put it in a storage lot because neighbors just don't understand OD.

Good luck.

LuckyBambu

Talking this over with my mom and step dad. My step dad seems to think that the deuce should be alright as long as it doesn't come home a rusty-looking piece of scrap, or at least, doesn't stay that way for long. (He works in an auto shop in town, I could probably do work on it there)

When you bob a deuce, can you cut a section from the middle and keep both rear axles, or is that pretty much impossible?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The rear tandems slide out as a unit. You then install a front end spring hanger(and springs) and use a non steer axle. That is the simplified version. Use the search up top to find more info.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to be alot better off with a CUCV. I'd go with a M1008. Then work towards a duece as a second vehicle if you want one. Not really practical as an only vehicle (even though alot of people drive them daily).

red devils dude

being only 16 you might find you have trouble finding insurance many companies wont insure a 16-17
year old on something as heavy as a deuce I would knew too I bought mine when I was 16 I'm 18 now
and still had many problems getting insurance.

tsmall07

I just got my m1008 cucv and its plenty of truck for the money. I wouldn't get a m1009. Weak axles and really tall gearing make me not happy. I can't really tell you not to get a deuce because if my parents weren't so lame and I had the money I would have gotten one in high school. :)

LuckyBambu

hndrsonj: I can see gas mileage not being practical for every day driving, but bobbed, is there another reason why it wouldn't be? I might be overlooking something big here.

red devils dude: Hmm, I didn't even think about insurance. I'll have to call the insurance company and see if they'll actually insure me on one. Why exactly do they give you such a problem? I would imagine they'd be rather ecstatic about people buying vehicles that are usually fixed up at home instead of in a shop. I mean, at 16 with a heavy truck like a Deuce I can imagine I'm a bit more of a liability should I crash, but hmm. I'll call and see.

tsmall07: If I have time this afternoon, I'll definitely look into the CUCVs. Thanks for the heads up on the M1009... weak axles are bad. I'm hoping my parents will let me get one, but no promises apparently. They're pretty inexpensive, so if I can pick up one, I'll probably pick up the other at the same time (if we have room, again, suburbs suck. Or I could drive them interchangeably and leave them at the shop my step dad works at.).

Do any states prohibit Deuces for lack of airbags or something along those lines?

bottleworks

Get a Jeep or a CUCV....

Max speed: 54 MPH. 50 Gal fuel tank X $3.40/Gal = $170 per fill up. So, at least $170 every week for gas alone.

Have you considered the required maintenance? Are you aware of the single circuit brake system? The stock 9x20 tires will not last long on pavement driving everyday. You will have to buy 10 tires plus 10 tubes.... It adds up quickly. With driving everyday, an after market oil filter system or preluber will be needed to keep the engine lasting.

There is no power stg. How big are your arms?

If you hit someone, You may very well kill them. Most people will have an accident in the first couple years after getting their license. I know I did, but it was minor.

I don't mean to sound like a negative Nancy. What about a Jeep Cherokee with a good size lift and some nice mud tires? With all that said, I did drive my Deuce as a daily driver for sometime.

deuceman51

I would get a CUCV also. It's a good starter MV and will start to get you familiar with military wiring and systems before you jump into the big trucks. It will be easier to maintain and keep in your suburban area also. Down the road you can always get a deuce, but they are a lot more heavy maintenance than most people think and require you to buy a lot of heavy duty tools to work on them. Go with the CUCV.

red devils dude

ditto to what deuceman51 said
And for a daily driver have a CUCV you can go down to you local auto parts store
and get almost anything you'll need with a deuce every time something breaks
you can very easily wait a week for a part.