• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General M35 Usage Questions

OD_Coyote

Hello - I am seriously considering purchasing a M35 to replace the pickup truck I just sold and I have a couple of questions...

How is a M35 suited for hauling fire wood and making runs to the lumber yard for building material etc?

Has anybody setup a M35 to tow a (2) axle car trailer with a ball instead of a using the pintle hitch?

Thanks,

OD_C

Rattlehead

Hey now that is my line of thinking! I have a deuce with van box that is to be a camper, but want to sell my 3/4 ton pickup and buy another deuce to replace it! Heck I don't even use the pickup anymore other than like what you mentioned. That pickup is only worth about 1/3 of what I paid for it 7 years ago, but if it were a deuce it would probably be worth the same or more than I paid in the same amount of time. Not to mention the cool factor! The only downfalls I can see are POSSIBLY mileage if you drive very far (average deuce mileage claims seem to be close to 10 mpg), and the bed height making it harder to load stuff. Well worth it IMO.

Some have fabbed up ball hitches on their deuces. The only downfall there would be the decreased departure angle if you are concerned with off roading, unless you somehow make it flip up and out of the way for those circumstances.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use mine for EVERYTHING! I've hauled 8 yards of wet sand (19000#) , to fire wood, lumber, jeeps, and even the weekly wal-mart run. You won't believe how much sheet-rock this thing will carry. As for 10mpg, that's pretty good for a 13000# truck.

Desert Rat

Guys,

All you need to do to modify the rear to take a two inch ball or larger is to use some channel iron, a piece of diamond plate and drill your bolt holes to match the holes for the pintle hitch on the rear. Next weld up the diamond plate on the end of the channel iron and cut two triangle pieces to reinforce the joint at the end of the channel iron and diamond plate. When you want to off road just remove the channel iron and you're ready to go!

Monster Man

Personally, I am not sure I would use just the deuce. Sure, it's fun and I like it more than my pickup, but my pickup is much easier to drive. The deuce is very loud and tiring, the clutch and brakes are stiff, it's manual steering, very rough ride, it eats tires like a MOFO and it gets 10 to the gallon and I'm paying $2.43 for diesel :shakehead:

I wouldn't say it's hard to maneuver, but you have to plan ahead, you definitely can't get in the same spots as a pickup, so you have to make sure you shop in places where you can turn around, or bank wide.

That's just my .02 cents on replacing a pickup with a deuce. NOW, when it comes to getting a deuce in addition, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!!! :yeah:

I reread your post, and it sounds as if you have alternate transportation besides the pickup? If so, great, the deuce will work perfect, I just assumed :deal: