• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Motors Defense projects

cucv11

jumpmasterjim said:
I spent 2 years in Iraq myself. Up armored HMMVs were under powered but took one helleva beaten. My 1st tour in Falluja 2003 we didn't even have armor!!! We were the luckiest SOBs on earth. Believe it or not the Shell back HMMVs'with polymer doors repelled 7.62 rounds. Not straight on. I did take an RPG through the drivers side door. It( polymer) didn't stop that. But luck shined and it didn't explode. 2nd tour we had Up armored. They took a whole lot of abuse from SAF/IEDs'. but I believe that Luck was again on our side again. But were definitely under powered. The winch on uparmor was whofully underpwered as well. We had the fortune of getting stuck past the frame in mud a few times. We had to call in the Cavalry and get recovery teams.
Thank you for your service and dedication. As many stated above the vehicle is 39k dollars worth of fiberglass and sheet metal. Its nothing but a civi silverado with off road rims and brush guard. I would hate to see what any type of explosive round would do to that truck. At least the m1009 was built like a tank and could take a beating. With the newer vehicles and the greater dependency on electrical monitoring and computers it just sets you up for failure. Do you really need tire pressure monitors? Cant you tell just from looking at the tire if it seems a little too low? I don't understand why they put these options in vehicles. The Engine compartment and crew compartment should be armored to at least level III specs. With today's mission of urban combat and the expanding use of IED's vehicles in the war zone need to be armored. I just was listening on the radio before Christmas when a solider lost both his legs due to an unarmored Humvee and the "moon dust" that the insurgents placed it in made it invisible. With those kind of weather conditions and the near impossible task of detecting IED's these troops need the very best this nation has to offer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was in the Transportation Corps I railed against the new series of vehicles the DOD was buying.
IMO they were designed by idiots and built by morons. :evil:
With the old stick trucks if your batteries died you could roll off a small hill in low range/high gear and roll start the vehicle. You cannot do that in an automatic.
If you don't have a set of slave cables you can back another truck against your bed and push start. :grd:
The diesel engine would run if you had zero juice in the batteries....if it would trun over it would crank.
The PLS trucks don't even have a mechanical gear shift they are shifted by a keypad.
Were these engineers drunk? :shock:
As pointed out by other posters the weak link in the new trucks are the electronics
One well placed shot and you have nothing.
If you are in a hot spot and have no recovery vehicle available you have to abandon the vehicle and cargo or destroy it to keep the bad guys from getting it.
It ought to be a law that you can't design something you will never use or work on. :roll:
The defense contractors seem to beleive flash rather that true reliability is what our guys need.
I would rather have a thirty year old reliable vehicle that will accomplish the mission than a brand new "gee whiz" that will fail me at a critical moment.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID KISS KISS KISS KISS

No.2Diesel

Sorry in advance if this is off topic and sorry if I have offended any Oh Canadas but I didnt know Canada had a military of any kind. :D It's too bad our small forces were repelled there during the Revolution and War of 1812. It's also too bad that the British couldn't sucsessfully kick out the French in the 1750s during the Seven Years War. We lost our ability to own everything up to the North Pole with the loss of those battles. No real effort was made anyhow. Oh well.

I do enjoy watching the movie Canadian Bacon though. (its low budget but it is funny)

rmgill

Actually, I'll point out that in WWII, canada had the 2nd largest airforce and the 3rd largest navy in the Allies. Canada has had a liberal government for a long time, but it looks like that's been shaken off.

From Tanknet
Canada has an election - we dump the Liberals - Now have a Gov't to be proud of
Canada takes on a more War Fighting role in the south.
We suffer 44 dead and a number of wounded but the gov't still supports the troops
Wear red fri starts with a rally in Ottawa, Then Toronto - yes thats right-people still wearing red
LEO'S get deployed and fire in anger
Canadian terms - Taliban = Timmies, Tim Bits - whats left after Leo fires at a group of Timmies
Canada orders new Helicopters, C130's and C17's, and kills the MGS, and looks like we are getting new fighters, and new ships are comming
Taliban Jack Layton shows his true colours, teams with the bloc