• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Questions

Rebelpride

I am going to pick up my M35A2 next monday (1/7) and was wanting to take an air hose to air up my tires from the fitting under the dash. And wanted to see pics of how to rig it up.

Also what precautions do I need to take when airing my tires, I have heard that these split ring wheels are dangerous.

Also I'd like to switch to Super Singles, I'd like to trade all 11 of my stock wheels for 7 M35A3 wheels with tires or another rim/tire set that would work. (Would that be an even trade or get me laughed off of the site)

Or if not trade what radial tire can I run on a stock wheel with flipped hub that will be wide enough not to look goofy

Attachments

ida34

That kind of trade will get you laughed of the site. Good luck on finding the A3 wheels. If the rums are seated then airing up should not be dangerous. If any of the split rings look like they are coming out then do not put any air in those tires. If the rings and tires are seated fine then there should not be too much danger. The danger comes then you are changing tires and seating the tires and the rings. There is not much to doing the air hose install. Take a quick connect and put in ton in place of the pipe plug under the dash. You could also get a glad hand and attach the hose to it. You would use the emergency side as it supplies air all the time.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to worry about airing up back tires with them on the truck. The ring that can come off and kill you will be on the inside so if it comes of on either dual all it will do is hit the other tire. The front is a different story. If they just need topping off, I myself wouldn't worry about it ( I'm not saying this is safe but I do it all the time). If the front is completly flat I would take it off and put a chain around it or use a chuck that will hold onto the stem where you can stand clear.

CliffW

Rebelpride said:
I am going to pick up my M35A2 next monday (1/7) and was wanting to take an air hose to air up my tires from the fitting under the dash. And wanted to see pics of how to rig it up.
You can pick one of these up at any truck stop for $25-$30 and hook it up to your glad hand at the rear of you truck. If I remember right you have to use the one on the passenger side to have constant air.

Hope this helps.

Cliff

Attachments

M1075

Rebelpride said:

Also what precautions do I need to take when airing my tires, I have heard that these split ring wheels are dangerous.

Also I'd like to switch to Super Singles, I'd like to trade all 11 of my stock wheels for 7 M35A3 wheels with tires or another rim/tire set that would work. (Would that be an even trade or get me laughed off of the site)

Or if not trade what radial tire can I run on a stock wheel with flipped hub that will be wide enough not to look goofy
I agree with using the gladhands. If you have a hose like shown above, you will not need to install or modify anything. It will be ready to use on your deuce or any other vehicle with an air system (military or commercial).

If you get a clip on chuck, you can safely air up your front tires while controlling the air supply from the gladhand valve at the rear of your truck.

The A3 wheels are HARD to come by. Good luck finding anyone who has 7 of them and then don't be surprised to pay twice what your truck cost you. Seriously!

In my opinion there is no suitable tire to be used with stock rims in single configuration. Keep it duals or go with new rims for super singles. M135 rims are also an option if you want to run 11R20 or 12R20 singles.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: General Questions

If you don't find one of the air hose assemblies pictured above, be sure to note the long double ended metal tire chuck on the end of the hose. You need that kind to air up the duals. The tire guage to check the pressure should have a similiar end on it. I would have some extra valve caps, valve cores and the tool to install them. Maybe your lucky, but sometimes when tires have be sitting a long while & you go to check the pressure, the valve core will leak. The air fitting under the dash, right side, I believe is 1/4" MNPT. (Male national pipe thread).

If your thinking your going to drive your new ride home, be sure to take along a pretty good tool box. No telling what your going to find!

Lee in Alaska

oilcan

If you go with the glad hand, make sure you grab an extra seal or two. They're only about a buck each.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

In my opinion there is no suitable tire to be used with stock rims in single configuration. Keep it duals or go with new rims for super singles. M135 rims are also an option if you want to run 11R20 or 12R20 singles

:ditto:

alphadeltaromeo

Gladhand and rubber seals are easily available at a NAPA, etc.

Also, you're in NC...we have members in NC that may be available to go with you to recover it. Why not post a request and see what you come up with? It's always nice to have some experience with you on the trip...plus it's fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks