• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Transportation Question(s)

ARYankee

I've never had to have an MV hauled yet so I'm not too familiar with what to do. I'm looking at getting a 5 Ton tractor, a 818 or 900 series.

I'm wanting some input on shippers out there from those of you have used one. That way I know what to look for and who to stay away from.

I'm thinking of getting some ballpark quotes before I do any buying or bidding just to see the amount of money it could possibly be.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WOW, you mean you are going to get shipping taken care of BEFORE you bid/buy, I always thought you brought a truck first, then on the last day say HELP, how do I get it home, THANK YOU, my faith in the gene pool has improved just a bit.[thumbzup]

ARYankee

WOW, you mean you are going to get shipping taken care of BEFORE you bid/buy, I always thought you brought a truck first, then on the last day say HELP, how do I get it home, THANK YOU, my faith in the gene pool has improved just a bit.[thumbzup]
Yeah... I'm trying to avoid that! I narrowly did today! I was chomping at the bit after those 818s that sold today at Ft. Hood.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had listed on Uship to get my M275 truck tractor moved 672 miles straight north on scenic 71 hwy lowest bid I got was $2 a mile $1344, some as high as $2300. I ended up getting a friend of mine (also with the OD sickness) and we went a got it. The last day it was listed, after we got it back got a bid for $1000, I would have taken it. I have used Uship in the past and always had good results and fair prices till this one, look into truckers feedback if you use feedback

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing that it will be hard to pin down an exact quote, until you commit to a trucker and a time/situation. A lot of variable can occur between now and then.

As a reference, I had a step deck tractor trailer haul 2 M818s(full load) 700 miles for $1400.

I would guess your looking at $2-5/mile for a single truck, depending on total distance.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$2.00 a mile for a step deck trailer. If your purchase site can't load that type of trailer, you will have to get a RGN (removable goose neck) trailer, for push-on loading, and those get more than double the rate. Be sure to get your arms around this one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alredneck has posted some very reasonable rates in the past. He's located in the Memphis area. Might want to shoot him a PM and see if he can help you out.

flyxpl

I planned ahead just like you . Then when the euc cleared all the guys who said they would do it at a reasonable rate never came through . I ended up using u-ship . I would go with m16ty's suggestion .

ARYankee

Thank you all for the tips and help. It is what I was looking for. I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much it will cost to ship so I can factor that into my decision.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently had a trailer hauled across Pennsylvania (350 miles) and utilized a Uship bidder.

The majority of bids came in the $800-$1500 range. The low bidder was $400 and I accepted his bid.

Despite my concerns and missing what I would call common courtesy regarding communications, my trailer arrived and I achieved the goal of lowest possible expenses with the low bidder.

So your results may vary, but I proved it is possible to minimize expenses.

I will be happy to refer the hauler if you send me a PM.

Rick