• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator bearing load

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This specifically applies to the 100 amp generator on my 8x8.
Does anyone have any info on the effect or stress on the bearing under load? My old generator has begun to make a squeaking noise when under heavy load, but ends when the load is reduced.
It's used to charge a bank on Nicad cells, which draws a full 100 amps when the charging starts.
TIA

PsycoBob

Might also be a little bit of belt noise, both from slippage & from the belts seating themselves slightly deeper from the torque loading of a fully-loaded alt.

If you have the part number for the alt, Prestolite (Leece-neville) may list side load values. The .mil ratings for the contract on the alt may list them as well. Of course, it may just use the German spec of Güdentight.

I found a spec sheet with an odd number for the 2a016 3hp military standard engines that went into insane mathematical detail about allowable misalignment with various torque couplings, at various rotating masses, etc. Engineering-grade design & installation manual, basically.

While digging for another alternator bearing, 305-2RS is the size my 4629JA 100a 28v alt uses for the pulley-side bearing. Static load rating is 2300Lbs, dynamic is 3600. The other end is a 205 series, rated at 1500 static. With a foot-long rotor shaft as a lever & the rear bearing as the pivot, the pulley only adds a little bit of mechanical advantage. I think you'll break the belts before you get above the bearing's (new) rated load.

Bearing 6305ZZ - Dynaroll Online Bearing Selector

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks