• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator no charge/ no lights

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is interesting what people did to the electrical systems on these trucks. We ran 2 civil defense brush trucks for many years with 12v tapped off the first battery for 30 years. We replaced batteries as they went bad 1 at a time. They always made it out of the warranty period. The 12 volt was for a single radio and 4 flashing emergency lights hooked up to a turn signal flasher or a single beacon. We also had aftermarket turn signal kits that were 12 volt. While I agree now none of this is the best way, it worked. Keep in mind battery chargers were used to top them off while they sat. I assume that compensated for the drain on the 1 battery. We checked electrolyte levels every Monday as it would cook out of the battery form overcharging.
I believe the charging system in your truck may only be 25amps. If you have any battery issues that cause a drain, the generator is not able to compensate very much.

Last edited:

6x6XL

Well I apologize for absence on this thread. I figured out that the whole truck is still wired for 24v. I ordered 24v bulbs for the truck and haven't had any issues since I wired in a new push pull switch for all the lights. turns out something was cooked on the old switch as well as poor wiring job. I would like to figure out a way to run a separate 12v system on the truck. such as a 12v alternator, separate battery and its own harness for things like electric heaters lights and even the turn signals. is there anyone that has added a 12v alternator or system like I am talking about?

thanks for the help

eagle4g63

Yes I have, you can pm me and I will give you any and all details you need. I will also put you in touch with George he is the member here that makes the brackets(also is only 10 minutes from me) so you can have an easy bolt on set up. Very easy to do.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes I have, you can pm me and I will give you any and all details you need. I will also put you in touch with George he is the member here that makes the brackets(also is only 10 minutes from me) so you can have an easy bolt on set up. Very easy to do.
Nathan, he has a 211, not a multifuel. I don't think George has that set made yet.

eagle4g63

Thats right.....I forgot. Ok so what I can do is help walk you through the process and if I can George to get past the museum, we can measure up and start production on brackets for the 211. We have one at the museum.