• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator service and test checklist and procedures?

bimota

Anyone have some detailed procedures for checking in used generators, running some inspections, testing for operation and then steps to refurbish? Does the military publish refurbishment procedures or manuals?

I have the generator technical manuals but I'm looking for checklists or other procedural tools for my crew to use. Thanks, I know these exist - just need to find them!

1800 Diesel

Anyone have some detailed procedures for checking in used generators, running some inspections, testing for operation and then steps to refurbish? Does the military publish refurbishment procedures or manuals?

I have the generator technical manuals but I'm looking for checklists or other procedural tools for my crew to use. Thanks, I know these exist - just need to find them!
Agree on needing to know the model #--that would help us provide more specific info.

Besides the standard procedures of fluid & filter changes, verifying basic operation of the unit, I don't make a checklist until after I complete the survey and figure out what's missing or defective. In other words for every generator I acquire and repair, each one has it's own issues and have to be dealt with accordingly. Yes there are some common issues that crop up on a regular basis but a good reading through the pages of this site will show you the variety of things that come up with both the air-cooled models & the water-cooled ones.

bimota

Understood, I am looking to structure a training and create standard procedures for refurbishing all MEP and TQM units up to 15kw. The small units are not expensive so my goal is to leverage existing mil spec procedures and check lists to create a low cost and repeatable method for crew with minimal experience.

bimota

Thanks but I'm looking for something higher level than a TM on a specific model. What want to find are the training manuals, checklist and other processes a Depot would use to bring in generators, train staff to do each type of inspection, checklists to complete at each step and then drill down to specific models and TM steps for trouble shooting.

The 003 you rebuilt is beautiful - a restoration really. We want to be able to process dozens of generators of various type like an Army Depot might to turn that back to the field as effectively as possible and of course scrap them when that makes sense. Any logistics people out there that know this - maybe the equip forum is the wrong place to look? Thought?

Ken_86gt

It sounds to me that you are trying to start a business, which is a good thing. I am very skeptical that you would be able to buy the generators cheap enough, rebuild them, and still make a profit. When the Army trains its personnel for repair procedures they teach them to use the TM's. "Generally" the Army would not do a rebuild on a small generator. Rebuilds are typically done by civilian contractors of some sort. You may be able to use the freedom of information act to get the rebuild procedures from those that do the rebuilds in places like Tobyhanna.

Munchies

There is nothing magic. Its all in the TM's and basic mechanical knowledge. I am skeptical that if you cant make your own checklist that you are going to be able to teach people who know even LESS than you know how to rebuild 30 year old outdated generators which are wildly available on 'large auction websites' Most of us buy them for 3-700 or so because they are good deals and most here are mechanically inclined.

ETN550

Just curious. What would be your price points for buy (acquire) and sell retail? Are you going to offer warranty? Give example for any of the models you are researching. Thanks,

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks