• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator shipping

mciikurzroot

Supporting Vendor
Last fall anothe SS member bought some MEP pieces from me and had them shipped to him, i was impressed with his efficency and what i thought his shipping cost were, several weeks ago i bought a gen head and wanted it shipped to me. I called the person i sold to and he shared he used UShip i was a bit shocked but followed the lead, my initial best pricing came back at like $600.00 that was not what i was wanting, the seller had given me his best guess, i t was 600 pounds on a 42 x 48 pallet i explored the real weight and it was 380 pounds and would fit onto a 40 x 40 size pallet. I went back to the uship so called calculator and entered better data, $275. was suggested, but it also gave me the choice to put my shipping needs out for a fixed price i chose, so i plugged in 200.00 , within about 15 hours i had a response and did i want to finalize the terms, 200 was agreed on then uship was adding 32.00 for handeling or such, then came the 'insurance' offer for 73.00 i read the T&C and said ok ... so i was pleased.. the carrier showed up at the seller location within about 2 hours and was easily loaded and on his way to Texas soon thereafter .. He texted me saturday or sometime and estimated a Monday morning early arrival, i already knew he was a cargo van type hauler from the picture the seller had sent with the item loaded. ring ring 0700 i get my wake up call from the driver, i already had made the leap he was eastern old bloc decent but has terrific english and never an issue. so i stagger out to my front yard and wham old
floria is here ready for me to crank up my tractor with forklift on it and get going.. in 10 minutes we had the item unloaded and he was ready to head out, but i pinged on him about how it all works and did he net out from the 200, best i could figure uship charges 12% or abouts from the 200.00 but i accepted that but then asked about the insurance protection i bought, the carrier gets NONE of that, and in fact is required to carry a pretty high coverage already..
so looking in his van he had several nice looking antique pieces as well a persian rug of sorts and several other loads and was headed for two more stops in Texas and into new mexico then onto LA Cal .. to wrap this up please. it was a good experience, he was also pulling a trailer, small cars 4 wheelers, jet skies and stuff he has hauled on it, well an 803 would be a good fit or an 802 .. so it helps when the part of some of our dealing become daunting because of the shipping and given some time this might work for some of you, where i was a total skeptic before, but it worked for me .. best: mac/mc NO spelling or grammar has even been attempted to correct

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the best part is the machines themselves are designed to be picked up with a forklift.

Sigh we have the same problems here at work lately. Items stacked but priced and shipped with Do Not Stack labels. Very frustrating.

Had to buy big tri-wall shipping cases to pack our double wall boxes of stamped parts inside for shipping from LI to Cleveland. Fright companies were constantly putting forks thru the sides of our stacked box skids and ruining our parts. Now they mostly just put holes thru the tri-walls. Oh and the cases can be stacked unlike the boxes on the skids which just get crushed when they stack God knows what on top.

TxFordGuy

Some personal feedback. I just recently bought a unit from a member. Even thought the sets have forklift pockets, i think the best thing for shipping was him putting the unit on an oversized pallet from the size of the generator. I learned these companies can transfer you load around to different carriers by the time it gets to you. Having a large pallet keeps them further away from your set.

My uship experience. I popped in the info and of course me being a cheap ass went with the lowest option. Roadrunner Freight. I think it was $350 to ship and 803A from MA to TX. I think they quoted me 5 - 7 day. It took 10. The problem was roadrunner did not actually drive to the area of the seller. They use an interim carrier to get it to them. From the original pickup date(Thursday), it took 6 days for the interim carrier to finally get out there(following wednesday). Once roadrunner had it, i got it by day 10. I might have got sooner but the drop off address, my work, was closed on weekend. I got it monday.

Ray70

I personally was pretty turned off by my first 2 attempts at using u-ship. First time a local freight contractor responded , asking if I could take to to a local freight terminal, I responded yes, assuming his price would be much lower. now that he had my contact info then he sent his quote ( which was only $20 less than the last guy ) via direct text.. ( later I realized he did this so that his quote wouldn't be visible to others wishing to outbid him. I tell him I will have the 1000lb. Triplex pump I was shipping crated and in my pickup and he said the local terminal had a forklift and a ramp ( I specifically asked about a ramp, knowing I can not unload from a loading dock.) I drive 45 minutes to the terminal and there is no ramp. The guys there attempted to unload from the dock, but soon decided it was too dangerous and said they could not accept the shipment. I called the guy and he tells me I now have to drive another 2 hours into MA. to a different terminal which really did have a ramp. With no other choice I drove 2 more hours and unloaded the pump, shipping it successfully.
Next time I tried using U-ship, the same jerk tried pulling the same crap, so I gave up and have been using FreightQuote successfully ever since.
U-ship is probably a great service, but that one jerk has given me a bad impression that I have yet to shake off.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only used the 'find a price' (ie not a national carrier) side of Uship a couple times, last being for an 427 load bank out of Kansas a few weeks ago. The BIGGEST problem I have had is drivers not showing up for pickups.

I caught a backhaul from some guy in the Boston area, looking to make some change to pay for the return... no issues here!

Untitled.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks