• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

generator trailer burnt to the ground

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I've used several of those at work, quite, powerful and will light up the darkest cavern you can think of.

post some more details and progress on your mod for the 120/240v add-ons

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer analog metering, but it might be more prudent to go digital (3/4" red LED meters in a panel) to avoid potential vibration issues that are hard on mechanical meters. On the other hand, I have hundreds of panel meters, many boxes of them and I can redo the scales on them to suit.

Custom scales are cool. You can add your own redlines - for example on the 30 amp scale for this genset, redline would be 27A, yellow would be maybe 25A (6000 watts). Same for voltage - since electrical equipment is designed for 110-125VAC, that could be the green zone for the voltmeter. - -haha well there are enough projects to go around.

I was told this set was previously owned by the Louisiana National Guard. The military does buy off the shelf equipment. I would like to green it and register it as a military trailer, but it has no data plate that I have found yet. Is there an NSN for this kind of commodity I wonder?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out is is 6KW !!! Oh well I am still happy, the price I paid was very good. With the tires and safety chains and having to buy the towing lights and pay my helper and feed him etc etc I am at $1800.

Yes, that's right folks.. the seller said it was 7.5KW and had good tires. Also, when I got there, the "safety chains" was a rusty part of one chain and an old rotten tow strap. None of that was mentioned.. Nor the fact that the alternator does not work. I could have walked away but I had driven from Dallas to Houston.

At 8 PM when I discovered the tires were trash, the only thing open was pep boys and they refused to put $50 P205 75R15 car or truck tires on it, citing that it is a trailer and must have $120 P205 75R15 trailer tires. Seriously, on an 1800 lb GVW trailer. Ka-ching! Poont!

Beware sometimes. I believe the seller did not lie, but rather knows little about tires other than they might have 90% tread, and someone probably told him the set is 7.5KW, and all he knew about the 12V system was it had sat for a few months and he had to charge the battery a little, so he likely did not know anything about these faults. He struck me as an honest fellow. Just a pity he isn't mechanic!! He is a tugboat captain BTW - -interesting job! It's enough for the a/c and lights and a high power shortwave radio set so like I said I am pleased, just had to burn some plastic.

I also learned that "It's h3ll working at IHOP at 3AM". I learned that from one of the employees who was arguing with the cook and my helper over the unacceptable color of the lettuce on the burger and whether one half of an 0-ring shaped section of an onion slice constituted an onion slice, and that they were going to have to now write another ticket for 89 cents for the "side order" of lettuce to be green and for an entire round section of an onion slice. "oh it's just h3ll working here!" she exclaimed. The manager came up and redressed the employee for arguing with a customer, then the cook popped off to the server, and the managr jumped on both of them for arguing in front of a customer. There was no charge for the proper lettuce and onion, and two tomato slices and a pickle were then added on the plate. If that had been the only thing that had happened..

On our way north on I45 from Houston, it is there about 8 lanes wide and half of it splits off to the left, where 45 goes straight. So at about 10PM some fool in a toyota or the like, some buzz bomb of a car, comes cutting from the right lane swerving over 5 lanes to get to the left side because I suppose he missed his exit due to texting and dropped his crack pipe, and he apparently did not see my full size crew cab truck pulling the trailer. I hit the brakes hard and heard the tires squealing, so I know ABS was IN and the trailer was pushing.. All I could do was flick the high beams on and lean on the horn, because I was doing 65 and was not going to swerve in traffic with the trailer. I learned it is best to hold your ground. Swerving with a trailer is suicidal. I recall telling my helper "He's gonna eat it" but at the last moment he noticed us with inches to spare. The horn blared as I floored it past his freaked out self. I need a bigger horn. I need an automatic applicator and a roll of "I'm too stupid to drive" stickers I can deploy onto other vehicles in these occasions. I would have been unhappy if the new ranch had bumper on my truck had gotten dented. I would have been very, very unhappy if that guy had been killed. Which almost happened. It's safer to chain smoke while sitting on an open drum of gasoline than drive in Houston at 10PM saturday night. That guy was so stupid he couldn't scatter manure with ten rakes tied behind him, although up to that moment I suppose he fancied himself slicker than owl-5h1t on a glass doorknob.

Last edited: