• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generators w/ Slave

Artisan

Guys can these "smaller" types of military generators
that have a NATO Slave outlet, can these be used to
jump start an M939 series truck or is it the other way around, as in
the slave is so you can electric start the genset?

Or is this a way to broad of a question and do I need
specify a genset in particular?

TIA!

Isaac-1

It depends on the model and how long you have, most of the smaller 10KW and smaller generators have a fairly minimal charging system, say around 5 amps or so charge rate. The MEP-016D Yanmar retrofits don't have any charging system and the slave port is there for starting only, they also don't have an onboard battery.

Ike

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also note, on the gensets that do have battery packs, you should always run them with a battery (good) connected. Otherwise you'll fry the charging system.

aheilmann68

I use my -002a with just a slave plug so its always connected to a truck. My 923a1 was not happy with a cold start before I had a block heater so I slaved the -002a to it, had enough juice to start the 002 and let it run for an hour both charging the batteries and running a 4.8kw heater under the truck. Truck started up a little better with more battery.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
[h=1]davesgmc put one on Elmo the truck it has a 28V mounted as an APU001.jpg[/h]

Last edited:

PeterD

I'm sure my MEP-004 would have few problems starting a truck. I don't know if a 002/003 would be as good (IIRC, they have smaller batteries...) I do know when I start big trucks, I leave the jumper/slave cable on for about 10 to 20 minutes before trying to start and things work much better (this allows the batteries to charge some and reduces the load on the jumper/slave cable setup.)

aheilmann68

I don't run batteries on the 002A, I just have it slaved to the truck in place of batteries so by running the 002a it is charging the system, mostly warming the cells.

3dAngus

I don't run batteries on the 002A, I just have it slaved to the truck in place of batteries so by running the 002a it is charging the system, mostly warming the cells.
That's what I was thinking of doing. I would just turn the truck off so the generator on the truck isn't trying to charge the same time the gen set is running, also trying to charge the truck batteries. Cannot figure out why that would not work.

I'm wanting to know, what everyone does to the positive cable battery on the gen set when they use the slave cable to jump it off. Do you just wrap it in a zip lock bag to keep it from shorting out or what.

aheilmann68

Yes, I leave the truck off, and let the generator run. I have my battery terminals wrapped in electrical tape and duct tape and do my best to suspend them in the air and have had no problems.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 002 and 003(maybe others)gensets have very small charging circuits. I would not recommend jumping a truck off of them while the unit is running.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Model ASB 2D DND6, 28VDC 72 amp diesel generator. Designed to start MVs . real handy power unit. Have several low hour units for sale. Currently changing filters, lines, and general clean up and test.

DieselGenAC

Model ASB 2D DND6, 28VDC 72 amp diesel generator. Designed to start MVs . real handy power unit. Have several low hour units for sale. Currently changing filters, lines, and general clean up and test.
I had to google that one. It looks like the old Mechron version of the MEP-501A. Those are no good for charging deeply discharged batteries because they can put out only 90 amps for short periods. Keep an eye on the load meter if connecting it to a vehicle because starting one will drop the voltage way below 28VDC overloading the set.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I concur, deeply discharged batties require seperation and charging individually. I would not let the truck's generator try to charge discharged batteries. But these Merchon units are great for jumping a truck that needs a jump. (slow crack or no crank condition) . I wouldn't use a -002 or -003 to jump a truck unless in dire need.

dependable

That's what I was thinking of doing. I would just turn the truck off so the generator on the truck isn't trying to charge the same time the gen set is running, also trying to charge the truck batteries. Cannot figure out why that would not work.

I'm wanting to know, what everyone does to the positive cable battery on the gen set when they use the slave cable to jump it off. Do you just wrap it in a zip lock bag to keep it from shorting out or what.
When testing and working on, I have run my MEPs off one pin NATO cable off a CUCV, with two pin adapter when needed. I tape battery cable off with good electrical tape when running like this. Just remember you will damage charging circuit if you take battery load off generator while running, either jumper cable or batteries.

RayK

Maybe I'm missing something, but the 003's and 004's have two 6tl's just like the deuces. If the genset batteries are charged, they should easily start a deuce with the genset running or not.