• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generators w/ Slave

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also note, on the gensets that do have battery packs, you should always run them with a battery (good) connected. Otherwise you'll fry the charging system.
That must be why I'm having charging problems with my 003. The guy I bought it from said he never put batteries on it, he just slaved it off his deuce. I figure it would be ok as long as you left the slave connected but I'm betting he disconnected it after it was running.

Isaac-1

Sounds like a formula for burning out the DC charging system, with luck it is only the somewhat pricey and hard to change (under the fan shroud) DC regulator that is dead.

Ike

SLOrazorsedge

I brain warped and left the master switch on for two weeks on my M932A2. Pulled out my slave cable and slaved it off a MEP003 for about 15 minutes and it roared back to life. The trucks volt meter was pegged hard left with the engine running at 1500 in the red discharge. The new Hawker batteries were stone cold dead. It would restart on its own after about a half hour. I ended up charging each of the batteries individually over the course of 4 days and brought them back up. I'm unsure if the MEP charging system gave it the kick or the two new group 35 batteries on the MEP.

steelypip

The 002 and 003(maybe others)gensets have very small charging circuits. I would not recommend jumping a truck off of them while the unit is running.
Something you non-motorcycle-experienced people probably don't know: Jump starting something from a shunt-regulated source (like an MEP-002/003/016/701 is a great way to fry the shunt regulator when the 'something' starts and its alternator starts making power that the shunt regulator tries to shunt to ground. Always jump start a shunt-regulated system from battery only (turn off the truck before connecting cables). Always jump start from a shunt-regulated system with the battery only (pull the genset DC CB before you attempt the start).

Artisan

I brain warped and left the master switch on for two weeks on my M932A2. Pulled out my slave cable and slaved it off a MEP003 for about 15 minutes and it roared back to life. The trucks volt meter was pegged hard left with the engine running at 1500 in the red discharge. The new Hawker batteries were stone cold dead. It would restart on its own after about a half hour. I ended up charging each of the batteries individually over the course of 4 days and brought them back up. I'm unsure if the MEP charging system gave it the kick or the two new group 35 batteries on the MEP.

Maybe someone can chime in w/ an answer for that ... was it the gensets battery's or the gensets charging system.

I am inclined to be scared of these gensets for jumpstarting after reading what I am reading, less the MEP-952B of corse.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The DC(direct current) circuit breaker. That way you only get the battery power, not blow out the charging circuit.

3dAngus

If your control panel is faded beyond belief, the dc control circuit breaker, CB2, is located in the bottom left hand side of the panel. It is that little round black tipped circuit breaker that shows white when pulled out.

It is also marked for "Emergency Stop".