• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genny help

Engine5

mice nest 2015-01-02 001.jpgOK, so here is my problem. I check this space every 2 weeks for mice, I forgot to do it 2 weeks ago and today I had a this area filled with a nest and mice. Cleaned it all out and started it. It shut down after 5 minutes and I smelled smoke from wire burning. If you see the 2 or 3 red connectors instead of stock blue those are the ones I had to replace. As I replaced one burnt out wire another would pop up. Is there something I am missing or is that whole black box fried? And if the box is fried are they easy to find. Thanks,
Mikemice nest 2015-01-02 002.jpg

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I don't see any chewed insulation or other damage from mice. I see only one red connector that looks like you replaced a blue one. It looks like the red one is on CVT1 (not CT1). Post the terminal numbers of the damaged/burned wires so we can see which ones they are, and maybe we can try to figure out what's happening. The numbers/letters are molded into the black plastic of the transformers.

Also, use a mirror or whatever it takes to inspect the two transformers so you can be sure mice didn't chew through the plastic into the windings inside. That seems remote, but is probably worth checking.

lxawolf

I am not sure if the individual part is available, I have seen the entire power distrabution box on various parts supply web pages. So if you cant pinpoint the issue or find the replacement parts you could go the route of having to replace the entire power box. I hope you don't but that is at least an option. Good luck on finding your damaged wires.

dmetalmiki

How in heck do the little "divvills" get in there?, surley it is possible to seal the whole unit to prevent this occurring. My Onan is tropicalised and weatherproof..bugs can't even get in to it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How in heck do the little "divvills" get in there?, surley it is possible to seal the whole unit to prevent this occurring. My Onan is tropicalised and weatherproof..bugs can't even get in to it.
When I got my MEP-003 that same area was full of a mouse nest. I can't really figure how they got in but they did. A mouse can squeeze through a very small hole.

I don't have mice around here because me and a couple of cats have been on a mice eradication mission for a couple of years now. Once I got them knocked down the cats cleaned up the rest and take care of any newcomers that penetrate the perimeter. Haven't seen a live mouse around my place in a year or so.

Ray70

I was able to get a used CT/CVT assembly from a member here. It was a real bear to change because removing the ends of the large power lines looped through the transformers from the AC select switch is a real challenge!
I'd be willing to bet the problem lies elsewhere, not in the CT/CVT itself. I can't imagine a mouse chewing through the hard plastic on that thing, but I suppose a shorted winding might burn a wire. You can easily check all of the windings resistance to see if there is a problem. Refer to the TM for the proper connections and acceptable resistance readings.

rustystud

When I got my MEP-003 that same area was full of a mouse nest. I can't really figure how they got in but they did. A mouse can squeeze through a very small hole.

I don't have mice around here because me and a couple of cats have been on a mice eradication mission for a couple of years now. Once I got them knocked down the cats cleaned up the rest and take care of any newcomers that penetrate the perimeter. Haven't seen a live mouse around my place in a year or so.
The stinking raccoons got the last of my outdoor cats ! Now the field mice and Norwegian rats are back !

Ratch

I'd recommend a little elevation. I have mice out around my shop, but I keep my mep's at least a few inches off the floor or slab on top of 4x4's or wheels and pallets. So far, the mice have stayed out.