• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset Model Guide?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello everyone. I am thinking about obtaining a genset for emergency power for my home during outages (probably what everybody wants). I am completely dumb regarding the different models and outputs, and was wondering if there is a list somewhere that shows the different specs of each model. Thanks in advance for the help.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The quickest thing would be to look at the spec pages in the tms for generators that are to be found in the 'generators and electrical' section of the tms page. You could take a few notes and make a quick table to compare 'em.

jamawieb

Check out the WIKI tab at the top. It will tell you about the MEP-002a and MEP-003a which are the 2 most common. 002a is 5kw and 003a is 10kw both 60 hertz. If your new to mep generators, you may want to look at these 2 models. They are less complex than the newer 802a and 803a units.

Isaac-1

I don't have much time to type now so will keep it short, It depends on what your needs are, the most popular options are the 3KW (really more like a civilian 4-4.5 industrial model) MEP-016 family, these include the older gasoline powered pull start MEP-016a, and c, the 1980's Onan diesel powered electric start only MEP-016b, and the 21st century Yanmar retrofit diesels, the MEP-016D (a or c retrofitted with Yanmar L70 engine) or MEP-016E (b with Yanmar L100 engine) The yanmars have the advantage of being both pull and electric start. There is also the MEP-701 which is a 16B in an ASK housing. All of these are 3600 rpm screamers

Then at 5KW you have the MEP-002a, this is a MUCH larger unit than the MEP-016 family as it is powered by a 2 cylinder 1800 rpm diesel egine

and at 10 KW you have the MEP-003a also an 1800 rpm, but powered by a 4 cylinder diesel. (both are again under rated by the military as those 5 and 10 KW ratings are 24/7/365 in nearly any conditions on the planet)

In addition to these we are just starting to see the TQG series show up on the surplus market, although they are still rare, and priced fairly high.

Ike

p.s. remember in general the larger the generator the more fuel it will use, for minimalist survival in a mostly gas house a 3KW MEP-016 family unit can work fine for winter outages, it can generally keep a refrigerator and chest freezer running, as well as run up to a 15 amp furnace blower, a variety of modern CF lights, as well as tv, computer, etc. Or for summer outages you can substitute 2 small, or maybe 1 small and 1 medium modern window air conditioners

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks