• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

genset with deuce multifuel engine?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there any gensets with the same engine as the deuce? Might be in the market for a multifuel genset in the next year, wanted to see what I would have to keep an eye out for.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big fof a gen head could the MF turn? Or how small of one yet have enough load.
The general rule of thumb is 2 HP per generated KW. That being said, the standard LDT with 130 HP should be able to comfortably turn a 60 KW head (actually 130 / 2 = 65, but I have never seen a 65 KW head before)

Diesel Dennis

Hi Guys,
I just loadbank tested a genset at a major hospital in Central MA today with the same engine in the pictures, a White D4800T. This unit is 150kw at 120/208V 3 phase. Only loaded her to 80% or about 165 amps. She puked up a lot of carbon and smoke for the first 20 - 30 minutes and then cleaned up pretty well.
I have some pics on my work laptop and can post them up tomorrow. I told them when she is to be replaced I want first dibs. The maint. electrician said "why?"....I just showed him a pic of my Deuce and said ..spare parts!!

D-Dennis

TexAndy

1800 RPM is what most generator heads like to be run at to make 60hz AC, right?

I would think the LDT-465 would be very good at that.

eta: And the ultimate bugout truck mod would be a PTO driven generator head that hooks right up to the deuce PTO. Not sure how much power you can transmit through the PTO, but I'll bet it's alot.

Mobile power station. Just pull the truck up to the house and plug her in. Instant backup power. Might want to make the hand throttle a little more fine-tunable to get the correct electricity frequency.

Last edited:

Diesel Dennis

Right TexAndy, always 1800 rpm except a lot of small engined sets run at 3600 rpm and Generac loves to run a gearbox on some of their sets to get the required speed.

D-Dennis

LuckyDog

Out of curiosity, just because the motor is an LDT or LDS, that doesn't make it multifuel does it?

I was reading about something on the duece called a "density compensator". Don't really know what that is though. The thing I read was "if the density compensator is bypassed, then only DF-2 can be used." or something to that effect.

Maybe I am way off base. Looking forward to edumacasion.