• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gensets from GL today

Ratch

Does anyone know the the lunnette height on the trailer? I'm hoping to haul this trailer with an Audi Q5 which is rated at 4400 towing capacity. I just need to get the trailer level so I can haul it back to PA.
I'd set the bottom of the lunette in the pintle at 19" above level ground. With the 1200lb genset load in the trailer already, that should be level or with a slight bias toward the tow vehicle, which is what you'd want. My M101's ride at that height unloaded and have a slight pitch forward so they'll be level when loaded. This site has a ton of knowledge on these trailers.
I don't know what a Q5 looks like, but you'll be under the 4k rating and probably fine if your wheelbase isn't real short. If you have a real short wheelbase (think Jeep CJ/Wrangler), you'll probably want to take hard turns a little slower than traffic.

What kind of mods are you planning?

ETN550

suggest getting a height adjustable pintle insert for your receiver. I've never towed one but I would guess the height is at least 22 inches or more. the military does not have any low or small vehicles to tow them with.

Check your owners manual for the car as you might have a specific transmission setting for towing.

It will haul fine and the weight is no problem. But the air resistance will be a very noticable load on the vehicle. The surge brakes on the trailer may or may not work and if the parking brakes were set when parked they may stick some. Probably will tow just fine no issues.

O.D. Fever

Has anyone been able to get ahold of Tom at Lansing? I have tried and it rigs once and then busy, also tried Selfridge and left two messages. I need to set my work schedule around the pickup.:(

Roadracer86

I'd set the bottom of the lunette in the pintle at 19" above level ground. With the 1200lb genset load in the trailer already, that should be level or with a slight bias toward the tow vehicle, which is what you'd want. My M101's ride at that height unloaded and have a slight pitch forward so they'll be level when loaded. This site has a ton of knowledge on these trailers.
I don't know what a Q5 looks like, but you'll be under the 4k rating and probably fine if your wheelbase isn't real short. If you have a real short wheelbase (think Jeep CJ/Wrangler), you'll probably want to take hard turns a little slower than traffic.

What kind of mods are you planning?
Thanks a bunch for the response. The Q5 is a small SUV with a 298 hp V6 motor stuffed in it so power wise I should be fine. I purchased an adjustable receiver so I can set the height as long as the trailer tongue wasn't over 20 inches other wise it would load the tongue weight too much.

Mods? I hope the **** thing runs after I get it back and go through the fuel system and check some of the electrical components. After that I'll snoop around here and see what others have done with these units. This site seems to have it all; I just need to spend the time to search and read posts. That's tough trying to keep a job and watch what's happening with the financial crisis!

Thanks again for your response!

O.D. Fever

Got ahold of Tom this afternoon, found his cell number in the truck file. I had the day off and he was in Lansing. Phone in Lansing was not working. Missed my chance... Next time is wensday.. Already sced a job...He was in Lansing today, phones did not work..HE WILL BE THERE ON WENSDAY.... I guess I don't have a real job and will be there... If I ran my business like G&L I would not have a Business. P.S. I like Tom, NUFF SAID Joe:confused:

mitchdaly

manuals

If you do a search for manuals on the site, you will turn up several links where you can download all of the manuals for the MEP generators. I downladed them and have gone through and printed the pages that I needed or wanted and put them in a binder to refer to as needed. Good luck with it. I got my MEP003A back in September and have gotten it up and running. Great unit. You will find a lot of help here on SS.

4x4e350

Got ahold of Tom this afternoon, found his cell number in the truck file. I had the day off and he was in Lansing. Phone in Lansing was not working. Missed my chance... Next time is wensday.. Already sced a job...He was in Lansing today, phones did not work..HE WILL BE THERE ON WENSDAY.... I guess I don't have a real job and will be there... If I ran my business like G&L I would not have a Business. P.S. I like Tom, NUFF SAID Joe:confused:
Thanks Joe,
Ive been trying to get in touch with someone also, still haven't been able to. I guess I will plan on next Wednesday and hope someone is there! They already have our money, so I guess customer service is not a priority!!!!!

billypop

003a

I got 8 -003a last month out of S.C.. Each trailer came with 2 gensets. any body need a trailer or 4. Or have any idea of value of one? Located in eastern N.C.

Last edited:

Timeline98

Mep-003a

Won a -003 out of Letterkenny. Picked it up on Wednesday with no problems. GL was friendly and easy to work with. Loaded it up and strapped it in within 15min and was out the gate. The Big question, does it run.....??? I'll find out next week.
Got plans for Auto Start and Homemade ASK providing it runs.

Roadracer86

Recent Purchase.

Anyone pick up one of the MEP-003's from Fort Meade MD? If so what were the results and how did the unit measure up to your expectations? I'm going in tomorrow to pick up the one I bought and I'm hoping it was worth the purchase. [thumbzup]

amolaver

i picked up two - one for me, and one for my dad (ctfjr). both appear near mint. i inspected pretty closely before the auction, and the vast majority of them were in EXCELLENT visual condition - all new wiring, little to no rust anywhere (including inside the fuel tank), etc. the battery-to-battery jumper was there on almost all, and all appeared to have good battery cables.

i put batteries and filters in mine (came with a brand new air filter installed), filled the day tank with diesel, and fired it. took a few cranks to get oil pressure up and i almost stopped, but after 4 or 5 attempts, oil pressure came up and the oil pressure safety stopped killing the engine. AC looks perfect across both the convenience and main outputs (at least in 120/240 single phase). i haven't attempted 3 phase although i guess i should. couldn't really load test it as i have nothing 240v portable enough to connect to it, but convenience outlets ran a 1500w heater with the load meter showing a tiny flicker of movement :)

i'll be towing dad's up to him tomorrow.

two things - 1) bring some way to air up the trailer tires if you intend to tow it back, and 2) send me the s/n in private message (or post here) and if i have any of the pics i'll send them. trailers appeared to all be in good-to-excellent condition. a few flat tires, but all 4 (between two trailers) of ours took and hold air. tires look brand new, no sidewall cracks or anything.

i haven't inspected other lots before, but i was ecstatic at the condition of almost all of this round. i think the double lot (two 003's on one trailer) was the roughest of the bunch and a couple had some moderate rust in the fuel tank. other than that, very few issues i noticed. a couple may have the a seized up IP linkage, but not most.

both of ours are missing the oil filter spring/retainer (see my just-started thread), but other than that, totally complete and running.

ahm

Roadracer86

Very cool, thanks for the response! I sent a PM with my lot number so if you have any details on the one I purchased that would be fantastic. We took a shot in the dark wit these since we are in Eastern PA and didn't have a chance to get down to inspect any of these. This isn't something I wouldn't normally do buying sight unseen since my profession is handling vehicle remarketing via auction for a manufacturer. I typically like to laay eyeballs on anything I buy this just wasn't feasible with my travel schedule. Thanks again, you've given my mind a bit of ease!

BTW, I have an air tank, a 4 way, 2.5 ton floor jack and a bunch of other stuff with me just in case; also a set of 12 volt tow lights to keep the po po at bay I hope. :)

amolaver

i used the harbor freight magnetic tow light kit with 4->7pin adapter and no issues. looked into getting the adapter to the NATO plug but not worth it to me. hand brakes definitely work on both of ours, but i'm pulling with a dually so not sure if the surge brakes work or not - can't tell the thing is back there. fill the air tank as high as you can and bring a 12v inflator. i was able to get both tires up from near zero to ~25psi with a 120psi 7gal tank. used the inflator to get up to 30psi and no issues towing it back the 50 miles to my house. you may need some blocking to get the jack lift pad up high enough if you need to take a wheel off.

they were all rolling on 235/85-16. a dozen different brands/models but all looked pretty new and i didn't notice any dry rot although many/most were flat/very low.

ahm

Roadracer86

Well i have probably the same airtank and I have a 12 V DC tire inflator that came with my vehicle so that should be enough. I'm using a small suv so I'll definitely know if the surge brakes work or not; I'll be taking it easy for most of the trip so I should be ok.

Thanks for all your info; it will be helpful getting this unit back home.

hedgehog69

5kw with ASK

I am still looking for 3-5 and 10kw with ASK. If anyone knows of any good units let me know...K

I lost the bid on the one with 5 hours on the hobbs, that one went for big money.

I have a MEP002a with ASK. It came with batteries, so I put the charger to them and she popped off. That is all I have done...I haven't had time to check anything on it...other than it does produce electricity. If interested, I can get a little more info. I know some of the sheet metal is dinged, but I don't thing anything serious. I am in se Iowa

Roadracer86

Looks pretty clean.

Picked up my 003A today from Ft Meade and it looks pretty good for being 23 years old. The one fuel line was disconnected from the water separator for some reason but everything else looked to be in overall decent condition. All I need to do is get the thing home and go over it before I try to lite it up.

Anyone have a good pre-start checklist that one could follow to check the basic functionality etc. Besides checking all the filters and oil levels is there anything that should be done like checking the injection pump etc?

Thanks in advance; you guys have been a great help! :-D

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up my 003A today from Ft Meade and it looks pretty good for being 23 years old. The one fuel line was disconnected from the water separator for some reason but everything else looked to be in overall decent condition. All I need to do is get the thing home and go over it before I try to lite it up.

Anyone have a good pre-start checklist that one could follow to check the basic functionality etc. Besides checking all the filters and oil levels is there anything that should be done like checking the injection pump etc?

Thanks in advance; you guys have been a great help! :-D

I established a forum post here on SS when I obtained my depot-rebuilt MEP-002A. You can check out the postings here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/76163-mep-002a-acquisition.html

There are a LOT of excellent posts in that thread from many folks here on SS who have a LOT of knowledge about these gen sets. That thread takes you from beginning to end of firing off a rebuilt MEP gen set.

John