• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Georgia Ice and Snow Chains or no chains?

olewhiskey

So thinking about taking out the 925a2 winch truck if it ices for emergency travel. Looked over a few threads and it seems they MAY do ok low and slow without. Suggestions from experienced drivers ?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The issues are:

On sheet ice the only thing that might help are studded tires. Chains may or may not dig in and give you traction.

Even if you have traction and can move what about all the other people that can't move and end up blocking the road. You can't just push them out of the way (especially if they are occupied). We saw this happen last week.

If the authorities close the roads you might be ticketed for being out there (unlikely in an MV but you never know).

Will your insurance cover you if the roads are officially closed and you are out in it and have an accident?

If you are pulling people out and charging for it you may incur the wrath of the local tow companies and get ratted out to the powers that be.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Murphy is an opportunist.

If we get a inch or two of ice the only place I'm going to be is in front of the fire unless there is a life or death emergency.

olewhiskey

Not wheeling for fun or profit. Authorities cant handle emergency calls anyway as get overloaded . Got elderly relatives with health issues main concern, disabled friends etc,..

Ddmk18

I drove my m931a2 today in Pa we got about 6 inches of snow. Mine works well with tires aired down and taking it slow but it's tricky with the tractor because there's really no weight over the rear axles running bobtail but it does fine if you take your time. I wasn't out joy riding I had to take a load of fire wood in my m105a3 trailer to my fiancées house.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hay Ice driving can be fun keeps your heart beating faster than any coffee and possible having to do laundry. Being 6x6 you could have some advantage but on ice is anybodys game. I plowed snow for many years in Va. and driven on black ice. Just when you start to relax abit you hit a small curve no problem. Now something inside says I got the feeling something might be ready to go wrong. (kinda like you know your going to hit your thumb with the hammer but you swing it anyway)
Now it does go wrong but not big and bad. You start to turn the wheel to go into the small curve and then you feel it. The rear end has broke loose but it's funny it's only off an inch but you can feel it in your body. Now the time the sweat starts as you try to stear out of a side slide like the kids driffting around corners. The differance is you weigh 7 tons to your sons drift car weighs 1500 lb. The truck stearing is slow to respond and you over compensate heading backwards off the road down a hill through a fence into a field. The only thought will be will she land shiney side up. Have fun be safe and rember 7 tons of rolling steel does soooo much more dammage to anything it hits than a beer can.

O yea you don't have to be going fast for this too happen.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Snow won't be a big deal. If it's ice, you'll need the chains.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not wheeling for fun or profit. Authorities cant handle emergency calls anyway as get overloaded . Got elderly relatives with health issues main concern, disabled friends etc,..
If this is the case. My grandfather always said the quote:

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MV on snow? No problem, just air down the tires a little, and use common sense- a lot of common sense. Ice? Forget about it. Even with chains on all tires, driving on the roads will be tough- just google ice driving. As the case may be- it won't be you, it will be the jerk in the subcompact that slides out of control, and into you.

Now what I want is a frozen over lake. I would love to take the M814 out there, and swap ends at speed. 24,000 lbs of steel doing the flat spin tango............

crasheej

Some place I have a picture of the M62 that I drove in Korea has chains on all the way around. The ice came and wanted to stay like forever. Was the only way to get around.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
MV on snow? No problem, just air down the tires a little, and use common sense- a lot of common sense. Ice? Forget about it. Even with chains on all tires, driving on the roads will be tough- just google ice driving. As the case may be- it won't be you, it will be the jerk in the subcompact that slides out of control, and into you.

Now what I want is a frozen over lake. I would love to take the M814 out there, and swap ends at speed. 24,000 lbs of steel doing the flat spin tango............
ICE is for KIDS, real MEN do it on the DIRT with 36.000 lbs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a lesson from Chipper Jones. He rescued Freddie Freeman during the last storm. Chipper layered up and got on his ATV and went the distance (heard 20 miles) to get Freddie and got him back safe. When the roads are impassible and there is an urgent need, resort to off highway travel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks