• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Georgia MV Title Problems

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had my first failure to obtain a title a couple weeks ago.

I'd never bothered to put the M38A1 in my name and a coupe months ago, I took my bill of sale (BOS) to the local DMV to get it registered. They looked up this guy's name (former owner) and the serial # and nothing came up. They said since this was the case and I had no title (he had lost it) they would need to have a LEO inspect the vehicle. They did tell me if I could find an old license plate they could try running the #'s and see if theyc ould come up with some answers.

So the week of the Ga Rally, I already had the Jeep on the trailer so I figured I would just take it to the DMV and a Sheriff could inspect it on the spot. I also found an old 1997 license plate and took it with me.

So this time, I go in with my BOS and tag and told a different counter worker that I needed to register this vehicle and I recounted my experience last time. I gave her the tag and she said the info didn't come up (had a computer changeover a few years ago and not all data made it). She said not to worry about it and she would just register it!

I don't think that 17 character VIN thing is an issue, as a Jeep has a 7 digit VIN (MC12345 = M38, MD12345 = M38A1) and they registered mine without any issue.

So she registers it as a '55 Willys M38A1, MD*****, etc. No biggie.

Then I ask for a title. I ask how can I obtain one since I don't have one currently.

She says there is no way to get one for it, period. Since the chain of titles has been broken. I tell her if I sell it to someone from a state that requires a title that my lack of a title will devalue it or make it harder to sell. She says she can't do anything. The age and the lack of a title.

I'd still like to get a title but I am not sure what my next step will be.

zout

ditto as Clinto - have 2 we received titles from the seller in Memphis (not the MV yard) private owner. We had bill of sales and tried that way but would have had to get them inspected as well - no problem on the SERIAL NUMBERS - not vins #'s as mentioined.

We waited for the titles to come instead as we were not driving them - just fixing them up so not real hurry. Went to the tag office - handed them the titles - got the plates - wa la.
Good luck in educating them. All they know is only 1 way as their brain cannot function like ours do.

airmech3839

Mine was easy...I have a 66 and had just a bill of sale...went online and downloaded the vin verification paperwork....LEO came verified and then to to tag office...tag was issued and I was out in 10 min..... If your idea is just to tag them to make them legal then just take vin verification paperwork to tag office and forget DMV...if they are gonna be sold then keep fighting it should not be that hard...go to the Suprivisors suprivisors office and hash it out...that don't work call your state senator and ask why they are denying to tag and title a former gov truck when you have the proper paperwork!!2cents

ABN173

Then I ask for a title. I ask how can I obtain one since I don't have one currently.

She says there is no way to get one for it, period. Since the chain of titles has been broken. I tell her if I sell it to someone from a state that requires a title that my lack of a title will devalue it or make it harder to sell. She says she can't do anything. The age and the lack of a title.

I'd still like to get a title but I am not sure what my next step will be.
Clinto,

I had tried to get a title for my CUCV in Columbus, GA they said I could get a title but I would have to go through a title service company. Perhaps you could go that route?

Good luck,
Dale

BugEyeBear

Use a title service company OR get a friend in another state to title it in their name then xfer it back to you.

A car/truck w/o a title will be harder for you to sell in the future, so it pays to get one now!

I still have a home in MI, so I title/register all of my old cars/trucks there 1st.
The plan is to later get GA tags for these cars/trucks, but I will confess that many of them are still cruising GA roads with MI plates on them! MAYBE I'll retag them when the MI tags expire...

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto,
I believe what you were told is true. Once a vehicle is registered in GA without a title, you cannot apply for a title. To get a title on an MV in GA, you either need to have an existing title from GA or another state transferred to you, or a copy of the SF97, Bill of Sale, and completed T-22B form. Although I had major difficulties with the State office, I believe it is better to go directly to the state office in Hapeville and get the title and then take the title to the county tag office for a tag. I had difficulties due to ignorance of the workers - the regulations were on my side.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, re-reading the DMV regulations that GLCaines posted (link is in the first post on this thread) I believe the matter with our M38A1 was complicated due to it being a '55 model.

Now, yesterday, Clinto g/f went to her DMV to register and title and a Deuce and they flat out claimed they wouldn't issue a title. There was an error in the paperwork, the T22 form showed the vehicle as a '66 and GL's SF97 says it is a '65. This put a kabosh to even registering it but they told her they wouldn't issue her a title even once that was fixed (they would register it and tag it, just not give her a title).

She's having it re-inspected today to try and correct the year issue and then is going back to the DMV armed with the print out from the State's website. We'll see what happens.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
South Carolina has removed the authority for LEO's to do VIN verifications. Apparently some cops in the Greenville area were just signing them and handing them out, allowing anything to get a title.

Now you have to bring the vehicle trailer into DMV so they can personally inspect it, for a title OR to register it. How I'm supposed to bring a truck up there that isn't legal to drive isn't a concern for the DMV apparently. I'll will be ok, as I have a truck that is registered and insured from a while ago, so I can just drag anything in there. But what if it is in pieces? or too big to be towed safely by a m109? Even when my State Trooper friend went into DMV and asked if he could verify, they said no, bring it in. He said it would be illegal to drive it to the DMV!! They don't care...

Good luck with your issues in GA, we are having them here as well and I feel your DMV induced pain and frustration.

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be persistent. But, As Dalton said, "be nice". I have 3 dueces registered in Cobb County, GA. All the paprwork previously mentioned and proof of GA sales tax paid.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks to me like in general all the DMV's are tightening down their rules... Possibly due to all the abuse in the past?
I think in this case probably not. Ga. will still register it, it's just that it is beginning to become more difficult to obtain titles.

Everything I have ever owned other than my '03 F-150 and my '89 D-250 have been '72 and older and I bought my first car in 1992 and getting a title has ALWAYS been an adventure. And I didn't own anything military until 2006. Their title policy is the same as it's always been.

The issue is that it's old and Ga. seems to have this virulent opposition to titling anything old. They don't care about value (a million dollar 250GTO Ferrari from 1965 would have the same issues), just age.

I don't understand it, but trying to guess why this state does any of the crap it does is like trying to understand why your dog barks. It's a mystery of the universe.

rmgill

I finally received a Georgia title for my Deuce! I went back a second time and was told the same thing I was told the first time. No title for MVs with less than 17 digit VINs. I went back a third time , each time seeing someone different, but the same manager, and when I was told the same thing again I lied and told them that DOD wanted the names of anyone at the state title office that was violating the agreement between DOD and the State of Georgia. They blinked and issued me a title! It took less than five minutes for me to get my title once they decided to issue it.
I love it when Beuracrats blink like that.

I had the same issue with getting the Non-Commercial Class A. They kept saying "you HAVE to be a firefighter or farmer". "No" I'd say, "that USUALLY who gets those license. Anyone can get them." I eventually sent a letter to the State AG's office asking about it, they said the same thing. Then I referred them to the law covering the said license and asked "Under Law XX-XXX, what are the requirements for getting a Non-Commercial Class A drivers license?"

I got a very fast letter back saying ah, you have to be 18 and pass a certain test. I took that BACK to the Drivers license office, they started the same argument, I handed them the letter. She called her supervisor who then turned around and left to go make phone calls. 10 minutes later she came back and said, "give him his license."

rmgill

By the By, I'm hopefully going to work something into the MV bill that'll allow Collectors to obtain titles for older vehicles.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto,
If you have more difficulties, you might try the main state office located at:

Motor Vehicle Division
1200 Tradeport Blvd.
Hapeville, GA 30354
Phone: (404) 968-3800

That's where I finally successfully received my Deuce title.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto,
If you have more difficulties, you might try the main state office located at:

Motor Vehicle Division
1200 Tradeport Blvd.
Hapeville, GA 30354
Phone: (404) 968-3800

That's where I finally successfully received my Deuce title.
This is where she encountered difficulty. Both there and at her "home" DMV in Henry County.

The clerks are just bound and determined not to send the title in for anything old. I am working on it now.

Thanks

C

1crook

I was finally able to apply for the title today. Had to go to the DMV here in Barrow County. No problems at all.

Glad to finally be able to apply for it and not get the run around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks