• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Georgia Steel Event in July?????????????

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The downside is this is parade season for July 4th. The other issue is it is too bloody hot in GA in July. I know this cause I just moved from there to El Paso and it's much cooler here (at least it feels that way). The main event for GA is/has been the October Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally (SSGR) with a turnout of 100+ vehicles. Much better weather in GA then. All energy and efforts go toward that rally. In addition to that you have Zouts Cookout this month and the Kennesaw Rally in September the show at the USS Alabama in Mobile and probably several more that I can't remember off the top of my head. Not saying not to have one, but giving you the lay of the land.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris,
Everything Carnac stated is true, except I think El Paso is hotter! Anyway, there are several guys on SS that live in close proximity to Buford that might want to come, since it won't cost much in fuel. I would go ahead and pick a tentative date and location. If the timing is right and work doesn't interfere, I'll come and bring a deuce. Once a date and location are set, I can contact some of the SS people I know around this part of GA. Maybe there is a park nearby that we could use. I know there is a new state park opening this spring which I believe is near Buford. I think it's called Don Carter State Park, but I haven't been there and have no idea what it looks like.
:beer:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The breakfast at 57th Fighter Squadron was a good idea. We use to and they still do a similar event in MD. It's since moved from Frederick to Eldersburg. I tried one here in El Paso in December and took my truck and said I was going to Golden Coral on X date, be there or be square.

But yes, driving a deuce in the summer isn't always the most pleasant thing to do. Take the outside temp and increase by 15 degrees and you have the picture. Even with that said, I survived 3 years in ATL without an air conditioned car. The flip side of that was I normally left for work before sun up and got home after 7 at night for nearly all of the 3 years.

3rdaavbn

Hey, I have to agree, I am as excited as you getting together with everyone, July in GA? In a deuce? Not unless I have to.
There are some good events comming up, We just have to be patient.
You got your Deuce in October, I got my first in December(auction) recieved it in January and just got it operational last week... Tell me about antisipation.

zout

Just throwing this out there - but I think the HEAT got to CARNAC already - its hotter than doggie popo out there in EL Paso - ever see a stone melt ?????

Works integrity has been a complete termoil latey and I have not even looked at camping this coming year with a new start on Vac time starting the end of March.
I know when I was in the hospital - they removed Vac time for this year what I HAD remaining (please do not go there) as I am a supposidly manager - kiss them days goodbye.

So just saying - IF (just thinkin now) IF its at a campgound - the 4 squirrels could go with us and make a weekend campground trip of it - kick this around with what YOU
might have in mind - see what we can work out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Depends where this happens, I could see a wrecker or two showing up

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't belive a little heat stops someone from driving their steel hot cold rain or shine I'll be driving mine

3dAngus

I'm clueless as to what we're even talking about here.

What is Georgia Steel? Where? When? Is there a link that would describe it and what it's for?

TMNT

Dangerous, I know how you feel. I worked on my truck and drive solo for quite a while before the first opportunity to join up with other MV's.

I think the first time was last years 57th Fighter Group breakfast. Right after that I went to Zout's cookout for the first time. Then I did a couple of 4x4 events where I took my deuce instead of my FJ. Then it was SSGR time.

The events start coming along pretty quickly once the weather turns "springy." Use the "downtime" to do maintenance, study the TMs, and fix broke stuff. Don't tell me nothing's broke. Something is always broke.

Believe me, you really want to be ready and in good running condition for the SSGR. That is "the" event of the year and you will get plenty of convoy time there. Plan on being there early and spend a whole week there.

TMNT

Dangeroustyz is stumping for an MV gathering/event in July. I'm not against it, but it's hard to deal with stop and go traffic around ATL in a deuce when it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity. My Anti-Monkey Butt powder just can't keep up with the that.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK...July and August are the two hottest months in GA (normally).

Zout's cookout is Apr 27.

May has Mother's Day (12th), Armed Forces Day(18th) and Memorial Day the 27th.

I don't see much on my calendar in June except Father's Day(16th). Maybe it won't be QUITE so hot the second Saturday in June(8th)??

Just throwing it out there for consideration.

TMNT

Dangerous, go for something in mid-July. Avoid Independence Day weekend as a lot of us do parades and such.

Let's find a unique place that we wouldn't ordinarily go, or maybe piggyback on a related event like a hotrod show, race or 4x4 show or event. Mud bogs over in Paulding county? American Heroes Day in Canton with the big helicopter fly in? Other ideas?

Lets do something that brings us together and provides built in entertainment. Besides, if five or six of us or more show up at a smaller local race track, I can guarantee you we'll get VIP treatment.

TMNT

OK...July and August are the two hottest months in GA (normally).

Zout's cookout is Apr 27.

May has Mother's Day (12th), Armed Forces Day(18th) and Memorial Day the 27th.

I don't see much on my calendar in June except Father's Day(16th). Maybe it won't be QUITE so hot the second Saturday in June(8th)??

Just throwing it out there for consideration.
Good thinking. I could go for something in June. Got to watch out for Father's Day on the 16th. My family gives me the day to do whatever I want, but that may not be the case for others.