• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gerbil Fell Off the Wheel(seat/muffler mods)

shannondeese

On the way home today from the hanger whereI get most of my big projects done the Gerbil fell off the wheel in sheer extacy. I could hear myself think, and my butt was planted in a comfortable seat. So here's what we got done today. There is now a 4" Magnaflow exhaust on the stack, and a Ford Aerostar back seat as my front seat. So much better than what was in there. It took a few hours but it was so worth the time. I reused the stock clamp so I can remove the exhaust any time I need too. I just welded it on a bit lower than stock. And I used 8 of the holes with recepticals in the floor already for the mounts. I'll take it out in a couple of days and clean up the welds and paint it. I'll also seal up the front of the square tube I used for the base to get the height where I wanted it. It is about 2 inches lower than my stock sorta sprung seat. My spring seat would only go down about 1.5 inches.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

saddamsnightmare

February 1st, 2010.

Shannonedeese:

Man, you must be some painting wizard to do the digital comouflage on your truck! I can't begin to image the pain of either laying and stencilling, or painting that design on something as large as a deuce or pickup truck. As yet, I have not seen too many military trucks done in digital, mostly just solid 686A tan or woodland green coming out of Red River Army Depot.... I am still trying to figure out how, on a large item like a truck, the square edged camouflage works better then the curved line camouflage patterns. It is generally said that there are few straight lines in nature (outside of maybe the New Mexico or Arizona deserts......)?2cents

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

shannondeese

There are a few done in digital and we just got the design approved by TACOM for DOD vehicle application. It takes about 4 days to do a HMMWV or a similar sized rig. The Deuce will take a little longer. And actually in a desert environment the digital breaks up the outline pretty well and does a good job of masking the rig. I like both types of camo but since the digital is helping to pay the bills, that's the way I'm going.

roscoe

I plan on recovering the seat in desert digital MARPAT to match the paint that I am going to apply. I'm going to paint it MARPAT digital to match my F350 and my cammies.
Great idea, that looks good on the f350. Where do you get the digital seat cover material or how are you going to do that?

Last edited:

shannondeese

Our flight equipment has the NSN for the bolts of MARPAT digital cloth. Using the NSN I am going to back trace to the manufacture and see if they will sell me a whole bolt. Since I need to reupholster the seat in the Deuce and both benches in my Ford.

Preacherboy

I have some labeled as "canvas" it seems to be very heavy duty stuff, got it at JoAnn fabrics.

Walmart and JoAnn also sell cheap junk to in the digital, so make sure you touch and feel. The good stuff is much more expensive. Also, if you buy the "true" digital stuff, (denier nylon or whatever it is called) is very expensive, high $$.

blacktop_one

For milspec fabrics and the like, try these folks: DIY Tactical - Military Textiles and Hardware They always have the good stuff (at least when they aren't sold out of it). You gotta keep an eye out for their new arrivals as this is one of the only places you can get certain things and as a result, they sell out quickly!

Std. disclaimer: No affiliation with the above site, just info provided FYI!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks