• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Germany to Italia

Carlo

I have made the trip so many times I know every curve! I know when my backside will start to hurt. I know when I hear a noise that was not there before. I have had axle seals blow, filters blocked with rust, all light failure, small electrical fire, wiper failure, HEATER not workinga and other problems I dont care to remember!
It would be nice and shorter if I could cut through Switzerland but they dont want fresh bought ex military trucks passing through so I take the Austrian route over the alps.

All this moaning but I cant wait to buy that next truck and plan the trip!

pad_cdr

I saw plenty of Germany from a military truck when I was stationed there in the 1970s. Plan on going back again some time, but I'd have to think about whether or not I'd want to tour again via a nice slow military truck, or get something that woudl really take advantage of the Autobahn

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I saw it from a 113 or a 577 or a HMMWV. Nice.

I can still remember railheading out of Graf or Hohensfels and chucking the MRE's to the kids along the road.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I saw plenty of Germany from a military truck when I was stationed there in the 1970s. Plan on going back again some time, but I'd have to think about whether or not I'd want to tour again via a nice slow military truck, or get something that woudl really take advantage of the Autobahn
I wore out a couple of deuces the two years I was over there (75-76) driving all over and being in two Reforger exercises. Maybe one day I'll get to go back for a short tour.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw it in 1970 -71 in M114s, M35s and M715s. I forgot, a few times in a 151A1. Mostly in M114A1E1s though for alerts and training. I was stationed at Ayers Kaserne near Butzbach, but I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time driving to different units scattered around the country, split mostly between M35s and M715s.

Carlo

I saw it from a 113 or a 577 or a HMMWV. Nice.

I can still remember railheading out of Graf or Hohensfels and chucking the MRE's to the kids along the road.
Whay year were you there Carnac? I buy my equipment from the US Goverment and pickup at different bass through ot Germany. US / Nato bases are few and far between now. I bought 2 RAF Bedford trucks from a RAF base in Germany. I had been there at the height of the cold war and it was a city! Mall, Fast Food, chruches, 100,000 service men and women PLUS their families. Now its less than 2,000. The 5,000 meter runway is parked with equipment rotting away. The control tower is still there and so are the aircraft bunkers full of boats and RV's owned by base personal using them as storage. The end is near.

Thank you again for your help.

Carlo

How many years ago were you there Pad?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
In 62-64 made the trip a few times from San Vito, near Brindisi, Italy to Germany. Nice ride in a good car though. Would not do it in a Fiat 600 however like some guys did .

Last edited:

Carlo

In 62-64 made the trip a few times from San Vito, near Brindisi, Italy to Germany. Nice ride in a good car though. Would not do it in a Fiat 600 however like some guys did .
WOW things have changed so much since then and I cant say for the better. Did you save your photos?

Carlo

I saw it in 1970 -71 in M114s, M35s and M715s. I forgot, a few times in a 151A1. Mostly in M114A1E1s though for alerts and training. I was stationed at Ayers Kaserne near Butzbach, but I was fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time driving to different units scattered around the country, split mostly between M35s and M715s.
+

Hey Gary is that base still there?

Carlo

I wore out a couple of deuces the two years I was over there (75-76) driving all over and being in two Reforger exercises. Maybe one day I'll get to go back for a short tour.

If you come back over look me up, ok? I have see some photos of the Reforger exercises and they were BIG scale moving equipment.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+

Hey Gary is that base still there?
No, after the 3rd Armored Division moved out it went downhill. The area is now being developed as an industrial park from what I understand. I drove by about a year before the end and it really looked bad. When I was stationed there, it was the largest U.S. Army garrison in Europe. It was nicknamed 'The Rock' and wasn't what you would call a pleasant place to be stationed, although I thoroughly enjoyed Germany and Europe. Here is a link to a site with a lot of good information on U.S. bases in Germany. http://armykaserne.com/ .I also visited several other U.S. military bases while stationed in Europe, including the Aviano Air Force Base in your country.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks