• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Get Your Popcorn Ready: Unicorn ALERT

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People ask big money for trucks with these - like MME - $250k for their A1P2 M1083 and I know of an armored A0 M1088 for $150k.

But what I don't see is any buyers lining up to pay the asking price.

Go ride in one sometime. In the civilian world they are a solution looking for a problem and 99.995% of the time you're carting around 4500 lbs of additional weight and suffering the drawbacks of heavy suicide doors, heavy cab to lift for maintenance, poor visibility, and the list just goes on. For what that cab does well (allow you to survive an IED with *only* traumatic brain injury, permanent hearing loss, and a 100% disability honorable discharge on your DD-214) - it does literally EVERYTHING else worse.

Only possible use I can see for this other than civil defense, law enforcement, etc is maybe storm chasing..... every other use case is better served by the Steyr cab.

It's a toy for people that never served and had to use one or work on them or a collectors piece.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.k. which one of you bought the cab today ??????????????????????? I know your in here ! It refreshing to see people spending big money on trinkets if they dont mind giving 35 k i feel sure 35k is front pocket money to the lucky bidder and he will be the only one on his block to have one ! So now back to the box of STUFF that came with the cab i feel sure that you wouldnt be caught dead with that UGLY inclinometer bolted to the dash of this killer build your about to do! So instead of throwing it in the trash can like anyone with great taste would think about the poor little guys like me that would deface his random driveway incarnation build with such common plastic debris just send it to me and i will tell all my homeless friends that you were kind enough to hook me up !

Third From Texas

The only way I see anyone even close to possibly recouping the money would be to slap it on an A1R MTV and do a complete stock build. Some "collector" might fork over enough to justify the build. Maybe a prop to rent to movies. Or make some sort of BS fake shtf APC like some do with the old Caimams and put it on eBay for 10 years. But I'm with General Disorder, this thing will likely get tossed together and sit for years on <insert point of compass> website and GP due to the ridiculous scalping it will see.

The only thing I could think of doing with it personally would be to do a MTV camper build with a hab designed using the same angles and go for the "stealth" look. Stupidly impractical but it would be cool as hell.

But as I said before, I wouldn't want to drive it though Nose heavy, crap visibility, cramped interior. I'd much rather have the roomy big cab.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if you put that cab on an M1078, and break hard down a steep hill with an empty bed, will it flip ass over tea kettle!
Actually yes - sort of. I have a friend that was a contractor over in the sand box and was doing some of the very first installation of the LSAC (Low Signature Armored Cab) on the A0 and A1 trucks. On one of his first test drives with an M1078 LSAC he did a brake test and the rear end of the truck came off the road and pivoted almost 180 degrees leaving him diagonal facing the opposite way in the middle of the road. Had to burn his undergarments and the seat cushion and his socks. They had to add a LOT of steel at the back of the truck between the frame rails to keep them on the ground.

Also the cab lift was REALLY inadequate on the LSAC till they added a second ram on the driver's side. And was still struggling with that. The A1P2 LTAS (Long Term Armor Solution) has twin electric rams for lifting and two more for latching and leveling for a total of 4 electric over hydraulic rams.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way I see anyone even close to possibly recouping the money would be to slap it on an A1R MTV and do a complete stock build. Some "collector" might fork over enough to justify the build. Maybe a prop to rent to movies. Or make some sort of BS fake shtf APC like some do with the old Caimams and put it on eBay for 10 years. But I'm with General Disorder, this thing will likely get tossed together and sit for years on <insert point of compass> website and GP due to the ridiculous scalping it will see.

The only thing I could think of doing with it personally would be to do a MTV camper build with a hab designed using the same angles and go for the "stealth" look. Stupidly impractical but it would be cool as hell.

But as I said before, I wouldn't want to drive it though Nose heavy, crap visibility, cramped interior. I'd much rather have the roomy big cab.
Like a stripper NO those 9 in stilletos arnt comfortable but dam they do look good ! Im with ya you could make a WICKED lookin build with the same cab lines !

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So with a little bit of quick math, that will cost the buyer approximately $41,360 out the door in California once RB gets their 10% and the state tax gets lumped in. Thats a small fleet of LMTVs that could have been purchased instead of a cab without a truck. Amazing!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's truly amusing about this whole situation is the winning bidder paid nearly what Uncle Sam paid to Oshkosh. The NSN shows $72,269.88 as their standard list price but contracts from 2014-2022 show price of $42,596.63-$57,776.62. GP walked away with near 75% of that in their pockets.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's truly amusing about this whole situation is the winning bidder paid nearly what Uncle Sam paid to Oshkosh. The NSN shows $72,269.88 as their standard list price but contracts from 2014-2022 show price of $42,596.63-$57,776.62. GP walked away with near 75% of that in their pockets.
No what the really sad part is uncle sam didnt pay 72 k for this cab everyone of US paid 72 k for that cab then uncle sam got another 42k and they cant seem to pass a budget its because theyre trying to get a straight face before the cameras turn on to show how hard their laughing i mean working !

Third From Texas

I'm going to chuckle if government starts unloading cabs and they start dropping one-to-four-per- week now....or if P2 trucks get the DEMIL green light.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to chuckle if government starts unloading cabs and they start dropping one-to-four-per- week now....or if P2 trucks get the DEMIL green light.
The way Congress is going our military is going to need every spare part and truck they can hold on to—

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I only drove one of them a few times.
1. Drove like a pig.
2. Stopped like a drunken pig.
3. Handled like an old drunken pig.
4. Crappy visibility.
5. You do NOT want to leave anything, nor any part of your body, between the door and door frame when the door is swinging shut, or being swung shut. Not even Chucky's head. You would need a spatula to clean it up.

Its made to save lives. That it has done. And will continue to do. But drive one for fun? Not even.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

Third From Texas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks