• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting 52 M35 6X6 need checklist for title acquirement...

EAdams

I am picking up a 1952 Studebaker M35 6X6 soon and the owner has a signed salvage title from the fella he got it from. What should I ask from him in order to facilitate me getting a title in my home state?

He is in Ohio, I am in KY...

thanks!!

ida34

RE: Getting 52 M35 6X6 need checklist for title acquirement

Some states will not take a salvage title and some salvage titles will not be able to cross over to a regular title again. This is to prevent vin swapping on stolen cars. Be very carefull with this deal. Why is it on a salvage title now? Michigan has different salvage titles. Some can be registered for road use again and some can not. I do not know Ohio or Kentucky law well enough but do know that you should proceed only when the proper officials say you can get it registered for road use again.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I don't live in Ky - so I certainly don't speak with authority - but were I you in addition to the title I'd get a bill of sale - and first try to get a KY title with the bill of sale. If that didn't work, then I'd go back (later) with the salvage title.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If the salvage title is made out from the previous seller to the current seller, it won't be of any value. Your current seller dropped the ball, he should have had it titled in his name. If it's an open title with no buyers name than you might be OK.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Kenny said, make sure the title is printed in the seller's name - then make sure to get it notarized before you leave. If the name printed on the front is someone other than the person trying to sell it to you, then you are "jumping" the title - not good. Get the seller to straighten it out now or you will have BIG trouble later.

Also check the Description - make sure that the info printed on the title reasonably matches the data plates on the truck. For some reason, many people make up a name (like "army truck" or something else)instead of using the information right on the Data Plates. Make sure the ID number matches.

Now, I realize that most of what I said above is probably general knowledge, but we sometimes get all "giddy" and excited about the new (old) truck and forget about this stuff.

ADDITIONALLY: For the Commonwealth of Kentucky, you will also need the "Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title/Registration " (form #TC96-182). This is necessary anytime you buy an out of state vehicle and bring it back to Kentucky.
It is available online here: http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/pdf/TC96-182.pdf
or available at your local DMV. Get a copy and TAKE IT WITH YOU!!! The seller will need to fill out and sign a portion of this form. After you get home, you will have to have the vehicle inspected by your county's sheriff department. This inspection consists only of having the information on the form TC96-182 verified. There is no safety inspection at this point.

I apologize if any of this is remedial, but you asked for a checklist, right?

Oh yea, . . . and welcome aboard.

houdel

You are basically screwed. A salvage title is assigned to an UNROADWORTHY VEHICLE (either toltalled, flooded, etc.), which the buyer is going to use as scrap or parts for resale. A salvage title can be converted to a regular (roadworthy) title but the requirements vary from state to state and DO require documentation. Best to check with the KY and OH DMV to see what what you need to do to get a standard (roadworthy) title.

EAdams

I think it sounds like the best route is to try the bill of sale (printed off the DMV website :) and see what I can do there. My Dad's best man in his wedding was the guy that is over vehicle taxes, titles, etc... :) Hope that helps....

Eric

houdel said:
You are basically screwed. A salvage title is assigned to an UNROADWORTHY VEHICLE (either toltalled, flooded, etc.), which the buyer is going to use as scrap or parts for resale. A salvage title can be converted to a regular (roadworthy) title but the requirements vary from state to state and DO require documentation. Best to check with the KY and OH DMV to see what what you need to do to get a standard (roadworthy) title.

EAdams

I will have the seller fill out the part in the Ky form above for the Sellers address, name, etc, and the signature. He is having the Bill of sale notorized so I will ask hi to have his signature notorized also. He is a real agreeable fella and has been real patient with my questions. I appreciate everyones help on this board also... can't wait to get "her".