• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a truck close to me from GL

Gunzy

I live literally next to a base that has a disposal unit but rarely has any 939 series trucks come through. When they do I have always been outbid. This makes me want to know what shipping cost are. What are you MV guys paying to ship your trucks 800 to 1000 miles? This is a big factor in my bidding as I don't have a lot of funds to get a truck, I do have skills so one that needs a little work doesn't bother me. One thing I do see local to me is around 150 trucks parked in a storage lot but they are being trucked by commercial carrier to Bakersfield for disposal. I don't see why they don't run them through the disposal unit on the base. That could save millions of dollars in shipping costs. Government efficiency I guess.

Gunzy

Where ever they go the shipping shuts me out. They should save the money on shipping and run them through the local DRMO on GL. But no one ever said the government were smart money people. Rarely some trucks will come through local but tend to go high compared to places like Fort Riley or Bakersfield. I'm watching 3 local on GL but will probably be out bid again. Just discovered GSA but those are some beat up trucks, cheaper but A LOT of fixing to do. Have any of you guys dealt with GSA?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GSA trucks are usually left overs from fire department. I usually buy them for parts trucks.

plan on at least $1000 for shipping. More like $2000+.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not trying to rain on your parade , but if you can't afford to buy one local or buy one and pay for shipping how are you going to afford to maintain and operate it. The purchess of these trucks generally is the cheap part . Insurance , plates , fuel , parts are the real cost of owning these . The bigger the truck the more the expense , a 5 ton at 5 MPG isn't going to be cheap to feed . This is a thread on he cost of ownership of a deuce cost of ownership (the real cost of a deuce) , I'm not sure if anyone has started one on 5 tons .

ridingshotgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I deal with shipping quotes all the time and if you want your truck shipped right now, then you can expect to pay in that $2K range. If you are willing to be patient and get several brokers to quote you, often you can catch a backhaul or partial that can accommodate you for a lot less...maybe in that $850 or $900 range, but that will take some real patience and luck.
I also agree with the above and if $1000 dollars puts you out of the MV hobby then you may want to reevaluate your options. Be patient and save your pennies and the right deal will come along. Just my two cents.

Gunzy

Thanks for any advice. I am signed up on GL and have purchased from there before, Generators, tools, cars, just can't catch a break on the trucks. The cost of having one I can work with as I am able to take care of all my own repairs and service. I do know how GL works but have never done any GSA auctions. I see a fair amount of stuff on GSA very close to me(under 10 miles) but those trucks are rough, yes, parts trucks. I don't plan on driving the wheels off one, it will be a toy to go to car shows, camp, haul stuff from time to time, and maybe transport my other show toys.

ichudov

Just a data point. I own a semi tractor with a lowboy and have a class A driver.

Sparta is appx 250 miles away.

It costs me about $700 to send the truck, with the driver and a helper, to recover one vehicle. This is fuel, labor, and wear on the truck.

The truck is a 30 year old Ford LNT9000 semi tractor, and the trailer is a 33 year old Trailking lowboy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks