• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting close on the Intercooled installation

profo

image.jpgRemoved the radiator and installed a new one with intercooler, its been about 2 weeks project and almost done will let everyone know if it brings down the EGT's been running about 1100-1200 on hwy and not comfortable with that been reading and some people said it should work but nobody posted results, so here goes. 90 percent of parts came from Summit Racing and i will post part numbers when finished. Not hard to do but time consuming measuring for fit.intake side.jpgmake straight.jpgrad bot view.jpgrad top view.jpgremove this.jpgshrould adapter1.jpgturbo out side.jpgnew intake manifold(factory).jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Looks like an entire custom cooling module. A/C condenser, charge air cooler, amd custom radiator stack. The full size Volvo charge air cooler (Volvo p/n 8181250) that 4xdesign found to fit perfectly around the stock radiator is about $550 new, he moved his stock radiator back 2.5" for hood closure clearance. Let us know the cost and EGT temp drop if you can before/after. Not a lot of data out there on that yet. Thanks.

74M35A2

Looks like it, and went traditional automotive style in-tank style, but I should let him answer.

Last edited:

profo

Looks like it, and went traditional automotive style in-tank style, but I should let him answer.
The radiator had a built in oil cooler so I used it cause if I were to use stock oil cooler I would of had to lengthen the water inlet pipe that hooks to it and I didn't want to modify anything that if this doesn't work I can put everything back together as it was stock.

profo

Adding A/C too, I see! [thumbzup]
Already had it just wanted to show the kit in case anybody needed to know what is was with this inter cooler everything fit great including the condensor and fans in front of inter cooler. Gun a run her tommorrow a see if temps will drop.

FINGERS CROSSED!

Here is some part numbers;

Summit Racing Part Numbers-

VPE-2630= 3 to 2.5 reducer input to intercooler
VPE-2632= 4 to 3 reducer input to intercooler
CEL-61323= Lower radiator hose (after you mod top tube so it can rotate) by tempstat
CEL-64312=Back of block 180 degree 3/4" heater hose that eliminates tubing that was going to aftercooler
DEP-420048= 4" stainless exhaust tubing
DEP-524521= 45 degree 4" tubing you need 2 of them.
FLO-MB125048= 2.5" tubing for lower radiator and turbo out
SUM-622118= 90 degreee 2.5" tubing you need 2 of them for lower radiator and turbo out

Mc Master Carr

5591K86= 4" Blue High temp hose 350 degree, with a 4-3/8 od I bought 6 feet but about 3 is all needed.
5591k56= 2.5" Blue high temp hose 350 degree, with 2 7/8 od I bought 6 feet but only 2' is needed.

Gov * or whoever

radiator NSN 2930015576211 which is about 28 tall has intercooler 4" ports , oil cooler which has 3/4 NPT ports and Radiator

Cummins or any vendor
Intake manifold- 3925453 = you have to cut tube connection and rotate 90 degrees counter clockwise the re weld !

Well thats it for now, Marty

Last edited:

profo

Well ran it today holding to the floor from stop and can't get it over 1150 degrees traveling down hwy while at 60 running a cool 900 degrees looks like it dropped temps by approx 200 degrees and it seems to have better acceleration also. Will hook trailer and put deuce on it and go for ride will see what it does with about 20k lbs behind it. Before it would run right at 1100 cruising without trailer climbing to 1200 on overpasses today stayed at 900-1000 on overpasses, I even ran it up to 65 mph and didn't go over 1000 degrees!

profo

Thanks for the data. Is this stock fuel rate, or turned up? Apology if you already posted the answer.

Back screw full fuel rate at end of threads! And 3k governor springs did not mess low speed fuel top screw. Just wanted power to maintain speed on overpasses without down shifting to third, and maintain 60 mph towing trailer.

74M35A2

Way cool (literally). Thanks, it is useful info. She should run a lot stronger than it was stock (?). How are you looking on smoke?

Last edited:

Gunman1919

Well ran it today holding to the floor from stop and can't get it over 1150 degrees traveling down hwy while at 60 running a cool 900 degrees looks like it dropped temps by approx 200 degrees and it seems to have better acceleration also. Will hook trailer and put deuce on it and go for ride will see what it does with about 20k lbs behind it. Before it would run right at 1100 cruising without trailer climbing to 1200 on overpasses today stayed at 900-1000 on overpasses, I even ran it up to 65 mph and didn't go over 1000 degrees!
Where did u tap into the radiator for the line going to the overflow tank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks