• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting closer to Bob

rrrr

Go ahead and increase your toe out as described above. Then do a test drive and see if its better. If it gets better a little more toe out might be necessary.

When I did mine I didn't even measure toe. I adjusted about 3/8 inch out and that solved 90% of the skidish feeling.

Bcurtman

I adjusted the toe, and she does handle better. I'm going to do the caster thing too next week. I am at about neutral toe-wise. I'll do some more accurate measuring once it's on jack stands for the machining on the front spring supports. A staple in the tread on each tire does aid in making good measurements. Thanks again for all of your help.

rrrr

Glad its working. You need to have some toe out with oversized tires. I've herd as much as a 1/2 inch on bobbed trucks with 16's. I'm at 3/8 inch 395's and it could probably use a little more.

You will never get rid of the loose feeling completly without a steering damper or a regular hydraulic power steering system.

As far as I have ever experienced with every lifted truck I have ever done and working at a dealership doing alignments it should be toe in. When it is toe out it has the tendency to want to pull each wheel out farther from center. When the toe is set in it equally pushes the tires in just a bit keeping them centered on the truck. Once the toe is set in and it is still squirly then its a caster issue.

rrrr

Do not toe in on these trucks. You will have stability issues. These are not normal lifted trucks.

This has been discussed in detail in the forum before. Toe in decreases stability and allows for quicker turn in for corner entry. This is the last thing you want in a truck like this.

Bcurtman

I drove my truck about 30 miles yesterday with the air ride seats installed. Lumbar, seat angle, adjustable back angle, air just right, and they are less comfortable than the factory spring seat... I'm putting the spring seat and original passenger seat back in. I'll get my 3rd person spot back, complete with seat belt, and my dog will get his spot back too!

broadsword71

Great job. I lost my bobbed deuce in a bad business deal. I loved it, but it did ride rough and often pondered an air ride suspension. I am going to probably purchase a stock M35A2 tomorrow if all works out. I love the bobbed look and handeling. Plus I like the massive weight loss! I like to play off road and that weight loss goes a long way in the mud. I am going to bob this next deuce for sure, and glad I found your posting. I often wondered way people didn't just four link the rear end. I have built several swamp biggies over the years and four linked many all the way around and used coil over springs usually out of some front wheel drive foreign job. Obviouslly this would not be beefy enough for a deuce suspension, but planned on the same concept. Great to know the 34" Pete suspension is the same. Makes for a much easier build. Thanks for the play by play photos and explanation. I will attempt the same build...of course with my own little tweaks hear and there. Great Job!!!

SEMPER FI
Broadsword71 OUT HERE...8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks