• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting doors properly hung

Napoleon_Tanerite

How much do you think a body shop would charge to properly hang my doors? I changed the pins, bushings and strikers, but took the doors off to do it. Try as I might, I can't get the doors back on right. They open and close, but you can hear them rubbing on the body, and you gotta slam the **** out of them to get them to close, not to mention you can visibly tell how poorly they're aligned since the body lines are a good 1/4" off or more.

Atwater

not too sure about cost, mostly it is just tedious. door hinges may need some shims, the striker may need moving too. if you can handle taking off the doors, from personal experience i would think you most likely can align them too [thumbzup]

hovenga67

You just need to line the body lines up and try to make the gaps as even as possible. These trucks weren't perfect from the factory. Once the body lines are good and gaps are lined up if it is still hitting the stricker, then it needs adjusted.
Brent

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: I agree with both not that bad just takes time! Close door , look at lines loosen and move as needed two peaple is helpful I use a floor jack with a block of wood and rags at bottom of door to hold them [thumbzup] when I loosen the hinge then after body line and gaps are good check striker and move if needed! A body shop may charge like 50/60 an hour here and they wont be fast at it !

lavarok

Try this: With the door completely open, before you tighten the bolts all the way down, have a friend lift the end of the door, while using your knee to lift the inner edge, tighten the bolts.

Marking the hinge to the door would have helped you re-align everything. A good ole sharpie works well for this.

I just did 4 cucv doors this past weekend and each one is slightly different. Lots of patience is required. If you ever have to move the driver side top hinge on the body, there is an access to the hidden bolt under the dash behind a small cover. Not too hard to access with a ratchet, swivel, and extension.

lavarok

One more thing, if the fender is rubbing you need to pull the front edge of the door inward as you lift upward to tighten. The further inward the door is, the less likely it is to rub on the fender. Have a second friend push in on the outside front edge while you tighten.

One man can do the job, but like I said...lots of patience is required.

A good place to start is all the way inward and upward, then adjust down from there if needed. Make marks with a sharpie to help align the hinge to the door. Small adjustments make a BIG difference.

steved454

Also adjust the strikers, If possible buy the sleeves from LMC or last I saw you have to buy the plastic sleeves with the strikers. I usuall spend a 45 mins or so after pins , bushings and new rubber adjusting the striker, up down in out. You should be able to get it to just barely close with 2 fingers and lock down tight. Nothing like have good closing doors. But make sure everything else is done right first as posted already. Good luck. Mine rattle now, just bought the strikers and sleeves putting them on this weekend.

lindyp38

Back in the day.........a trick an old timer showed me........was to use newspaper.......and wedging the paper would ease the lining up part.......

Napoleon_Tanerite

i got them done, just took some time. Those suckers are HEAVY! I found out my bottom hinge pin on both door hinges had worked itself out of the bottom hole. on top of that both body side hinges had drooped. I reset them, and the door hung much better. It still doesn't line up great, but I'd be willing to bet it didn't from the factory either. I accomplished my goal-- they no longer rub on the body when you open and close the doors. I painted all rub spots with spray paint, and there are no new shiny spots-- meaning I fixed my rubbing issue.

waayfast

I'll throw this out there although it sounds like the O.P. got 'er done----one trick my dad taught me was to use a strip of paper towel shut in the door-- then pulled on to make sure the door is adjusted correctly so the door is tight to the rubber so the wind doesn't whistle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter