• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting license plates in Ohio

Ukraine Train

I just bought an M1078 and when I went to get plates they said I had to get truck plates because it's over 10,000lbs. So my plates cost around three times that of regular car plates since they go by GVW. It's a personal vehicle, but I'll occasionally drive it for work and haul stuff that's too big for my commuter. Does this seem right? I guess I assumed I could get regular plates for $60/yr.

I see on the BMV site there are tags for "heavy non-commercial" (over 1 ton trucks) for $84.50, but commercial truck plates for 18k-22k lbs GVW are $180/yr.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When I got my historic tags, I was told if the truck is rated over 1ton, it was commercial. I guess I have commercial historic tags.

18operator

I got my plates for my M35A2 I put personal vehicle plates on it. The lady at the BMV down here in Wadsworth said as long as it was a personal vehicle regardless of the vehicle weight (not for business or commercial use) it could be done. So I'm only paying around $60 a year. I didn't like the rules with the historical vehicle plates, I drive the truck to more than just parades and car shows.

Monkeyboyarmy

Its amazing how different the results are from different bmv's and title offices in Ohio. I guess it is interpretation of the laws. I have not heard of this heavy non comm plate yet.

Monkeyboyarmy

Are 1078s old enough? Could be a good alternative to run heavy non comm. I like the stenciled plate number instead of displaying a plate idea best. One rattle can of paint and I can register all of my trucks in an hour.

Ukraine Train

The truck is a '94 so not old enough for historical. I'll see if I can get a hold of someone in Columbus that can get me a definitive answer. I want to save money on registration but also don't want to get in a situation where I get non comm plates and then get hassled by truck police. The guy I got the truck from had his plate number stenciled on the back; is that permitted for regular plates? I'd like to do that and just carry the actual plate in the cab.

Ukraine Train

I called Columbus and they said anything over a 1 ton has to have truck plates and registration cost is based on GVW. I guess I can try to get collector plates but I plan to use this semi-regularly and don't want to worry about those restrictions.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Gimpy I have a commercial historic plate on both my trucks. They were about $27 each for 50 years. I'm hoping for one renewal. :)

rory1919

They told me while registering my 5 ton and the deuce as long as i signed the waiver saying that it was not for commercial use it could get personal plates... or becuase both are listed as old enough, historic plates for both of my trucks.

r