• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting my ducks in a row ...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... To drop the hammer on a 923A2. When I see the one I want, I want to be ready to bid knowing that I know sort of what I'm getting myself into.

Guys, I have no idea what I am doing. So, I'll take advice on what to do and look for. What to prepare for, etc.

First, anyone know if I need A CDL to operate it in TX?
Is there a benefit to registration because I am a rancher and would probably register it as a farm vehicle? (There is a chance I won't, long story, but probably will.)
How do I deal with GP after the auction? (I just bought a trailer from them so I will have a bit of experience with them. I'm sure a 5 ton will be quite different.)
I see guys talking about an EUC. What is that?

What questions do I need to be asking that I don't even know to ask? That's the tough part! What I don't know is what concerns me!

Thanks for for the help.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, also, I will likely want to hire someone to look at the truck beforehand. Seeing as how I don't even know where it is, are there guys around most bases who are willing to check one out before auction?

Do do they allow this? GP that is.

Thanks.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to be around a friend's deuce before I got one and then be around his M923a2 before I got one. It really helps.
After owning two M923a2's I can look at the pics on govplanet and kinda pic out good ones, they seem good about taking pics underneath the truck too.
TX rules on CDL http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/cdl-faqs.php
Thanks for the link. I seemed to remember the 150 mile rule for Farm Ranch exemption.

"The only exceptions to this are:
  • Farmers operating a vehicle for agricultural purposes 150 air miles from his or her farm.
  • Operators of emergency vehicles, such as a fire truck or ambulance, in emergency situations.
  • Military personal who are operating military vehicles.
  • Drivers of some recreational vehicles, such as an RV."
Ok, so here is a question. Get a van 923A2 and turn it into an RV. In theory, this works. In reality I'm sure there may be some insurmountable hurdles getting the registration changed.

Luckily, I have a ranch so as long as I don't venture too far, I can at least operate it for a little while under the farm exemption while the I get the CDL.

I dont imagine a CDL is too difficult to obtain, just curious about the time needed to get it done.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did sort of pick the 923a2 out of the air on a little info I got here and there. I like the turbo Cummins, gas mileage, they look cool as all get out, but are there other trucks that I am missing out on simply because I don't know much about the 5 Ton market.

Im kind of open to suggestion here.

Also so anyone have a solid 923A2 for sale?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks