• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready for road trip

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the event that the CTIS does not work, I would bring an air hose to pump up the tires. You can get one at just about any truck stop. I needed one on my last recovery.
In the event CTIS doesn't work, I would then go get one ($30ish) from the nearest truck stop.

I'm with you though brasco, I like them. It's a poor man's CTIS and I keep one in my A0 truck. If he doesn't already have one though I would hold off obtaining one until need is verified.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One question. I have is what fluids it takes and what kind of air filter and where to get one? Thanks for all the great tips
The lube order is around here somewhere.

The air filter isn't readily available. If the existing one is that dirty blow it off and replace when you get home.

Fuel filters are another matter. Some a2 trucks have 2 and some just have one. The little one on the block is the one that's prone to clog. I'd leave it alone unless symptomatic.

I give your chances at about 50/50 of an issue-free drive home and about 90% chance you somehow get the truck home under its own power.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a crate of BII on the passenger seat. You might be in luck and have an air hose, jack, lug wrench, etc on hand already. Looks like a great truck!

Have fun on the recovery. Half the fun of joining the MV club is the excitement of picking up your new truck.

CDL? It varies state to state, but in CA my guess is yes. Look at your state laws, and don't forget insurance that covers you for the trip.

jmarch58

Thanks sigo I'm really glad I found this site lots of great info and I'm planning on documenting the whole thing some of my best memories are in old army trucks when I was in so really looking forward to that again

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you're new to the site, do a search on "recovery", "recoveries" and you should get a number of threads about tool and supply lists, as well as some indication of what can go wrong. When you start off, I'd stop after 5-10 miles to do a walk-around inspection with a IR heat gun, and the same inspection at 20-30 miles.

Aside from tools, make sure you have flashlights/work lights, reflective vests and triangles and/or flares in the event of a breakdown in the middle of the road.

Welcome and Good Luck!!

jmarch58

One question I have still is there a air , oil, and fuel filter replacement that I can get to change out before I head out I'm planning on going to a mechanic to habe it looked over but would like to have the parts already

bigbe5678

HiEveryone I must admit you guys havebrass onions The night before I had to pick up a m101a1 trailer only 2 hoursaway I could not sleep . Thinking aboutpicking up a 5 ton truck and driving it a long distance in weather that cankill you gets my full respect.:goodjob:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks