• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready M923A2 recovery @ Fort Riley

thesledge

Heading to Fort Riley on Tuesday afternoon to begin my recovery of my first MV, a M923A2 that I get through GL. Its going to be a group effort. My father, my 8 year old son, along with 2 friends and their sons. We will begin our trip back on Wednesday to Colorado, hopefully!recovery prep.jpg
This is everything I can think of at this point, minus my 20 ton bottle jack and 2 way radios for communicating with our chase vehicle.
GL listing photo.jpg

camoyj7

You won't need the brake fluid because it has air brakes. You will need a basic wrench set with a 3/8, 9/16, and big adjustable wrench for the ctis valve. 1 1/2 socket for lugs and I think 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 to get the ctis shield off if you get a flat. Also a few ratchet straps to get spare down from rack just in case your truck is missing the tools. If you were to get a flat pay attention where the ctis valve is so when you put the spare on the hose will reach.

thesledge

Thanks. I figured that if I bring it along, I won't need it... So, I am trying to bring everything I can think of in hopes of having a smooth trip home.

thesledge

Thanks camoyj7,
The brake fluid is actually for our chase vehicle. Yes, I have a full socket set under the impact wrench set which is under the tow strap. If you think of anything else I need, please let me know. I actually met up with another SS member today here locally and it was very helpful to talk with him about his M923A2. He gave me some pointers and even let me drive his truck! I am so excited to get mine.

bigboy44

Welcome to SS from Covington, LA. Have a safe trip and be sure to take pics, we like a documented recovery. Again have a safe trip and good luck I hope you get a good one.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to add a 1 1/8" deep socket for the CTIS, you will need that to change a rear tire. Hope you do not need it.
Have a safe trip!!!

jesusgatos

Would also recommend taking a set of fresh/charged batteries and swapping those in. We've had several alternators fry-out on us, on freshly rebuilt trucks, and my electrical guru buddy suggested that it might have something to do with the alternators being over-worked trying to charge dead batteries. But then, on one of the alternators, the pulley just shared-off the shaft, so maybe they're just ****ty alternators...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So are you picking up Wed Am? I will be out there getting some goodies for another guy on the site. Go past the main fort exit to KS hwy 18 then go north to the first exit 12th st, go west and have your DL's ready at the guard shack straight ahead, the big one to the right is for commercial trucks.
Glen at BFR is an hour west of there on your route back in Salina and if you have any bad tires he has stacks of them and think he still has troop seats hard tops and maybe some cargo covers if you need them. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81601-BFR-Metals-Salina-Kansas-a-Goodie-Hole

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
So are you picking up Wed Am? I will be out there getting some goodies for another guy on the site. Go past the main fort exit to KS hwy 18 then go north to the first exit 12th st, go west and have your DL's ready at the guard shack straight ahead, the big one to the right is for commercial trucks.
Glen at BFR is an hour west of there on your route back in Salina and if you have any bad tires he has stacks of them and think he still has troop seats hard tops and maybe some cargo covers if you need them. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?81601-BFR-Metals-Salina-Kansas-a-Goodie-Hole

Glen is a great guy! I've got alot of good stuff from him!

KaiserM109

Urgent pm sent! We're almost neighbors!

I may need you to go by Glenn's to pick up a transmission and possibly tires w/wheels.

I have a generator and a heavy duty battery charger that you might want to borrow so that you can charge up off-the-grid, along with 4 good batteries. Also add starter fluid (ether) to your equipment.

SEE THE PM.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got out there late this AM, Gl had his truck running and warmed up and he had left on his way back west. Ellia the GL contact said he was smiling as he drove off.

thesledge

We made it home!! It was quite an adventure. Here are some of the highlights.
We got to the GL site @ Fort Riley @ 830 and they had the truck already started and warming up. This was totally unexpected. They were really nice and the whole process went very smoothly there. We were out of there within 30 minutes. Our plan was to head to Glens in Salina, Kansas and pick up a transmission and a couple tires for another SS member. We stopped briefly at Walmart and then upon trying to start the truck back up, it was dead. Turned out to be the batteries were still low and the battery switch was dirty and not making good contact. After jumping the truck and getting the switch cleaned up, we were on the way to Glens. We got the trans and tires loaded and Glen told us about the Hickory Hut BBQ restaurant. This was maybe the best part of the trip! It was amazing BBQ and was certainly worth the stop. Then we were back on the road until 20 miles west of Hays, Kansas when our brakes starting losing pressure. This turned into a huge ordeal which required 2 trips back and forth to Hays, Kansas. After 7 hours of troubleshooting and fixing, we finally got back on the road with our temporary bypass setup of the brake compressor with a generator and air compressor in the back of the truck. I officially know a whole lot more about air brakes than I thought I ever would. Then it was 100 miles of driving through a Blizzard and we finally made it back home about 530 this morning. Needless to say, it was a long day. However, it was fun to do this with my son and my father along with a couple of friends. Oh yeah, I also love my M923A2. It is so much fun to drive and really a lot of fun to work on. Here are some pics that I got along the way.
photo 1.jpg
My son and 2 of his friends that came along.
photo 2.JPG
Got to convoy with a Fuel Tanker for about 40 miles
photo 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg
Loading up the transmission and tires for another SS member at Glens place in Salina.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks