• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready to buy one and need advice

Rickmo

5 ton question for new guy

When looking at 5 tons to buy, I find that some have dual rear tires on the rear axles and some have super singles. Can you fill me in on the types of trucks that have each. Thanks

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick,
Real simple; M939 series trucks came originally w/ dual rear tires, then the same series truck was later modified to A1 and then A2 , hence M939A1 or M939A2.
The modifications included the new super single tire configuration. That's it in a nut shell. To really educate yourself, brush up on the tech manuals(TM) and other historical tech data.
JC

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 900 series A2's had the 8.3 Cummins turbo diesel (and the CTIS) verses the 250 N/A Cummins in the older trucks. Super singles do not necessarily mean the truck has the 8.3. I have seen several 900 series trucks (including the one in my back yard) that have the super singles but still have the 250 in them.

Rickmo

I have been watching GL and am ready to buy a 923. I have several questions that I am hoping you all can answer for me. Thank you in advance for your time and patience as I am sure you have "heard it all" before:D I am very mechanically inclined and am looking for an education.

1. Is there a method to get more information than what is listed on the GL description? The trucks I am looking at are in MN.
2. I would like to buy one that is capable of being driven home ( 500 miles). How realistic is this?
3. If I buy one with the dual tires on the rear axles, is it difficult to find and install the super single tires.
4. What super single tires and wheels will fit and is there a preferred brand?
5. Should I worry that the tan paint job on these trucks may be sub-standard as it may not be the factory paint. I worry that the tan paint was hastily sprayed over the factory OD paint. My plan is to paint the truck flat black.

6. How can I be sure that the ABS braking system has been installed?

7. Any potential pitfall that I should know about in advance would be most appreciated.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
1. Go inspect it.
2. See #1, have a credit card, or just have it towed home.
3. You'll have to address the mud flaps, but that should be it.
4. 5 ton wheels, many options out there. 14.00's are the A1/A2 spec.
5. Paint is up to you. These are not consumer trucks. They're abundant with rust, overspray, flaking paint, and years of neglect.
6. Read the TMs.
7. Read the TMs and read up the forums.

bigboy44

My 2 cents! The best way to have your questions answered is to make a fisical inspection either do it your self or have someone close by do it for you. I prefere to do it myself and only bid on items close to me that I can inspect ( I learned that the hard way ), if I were to buy a 5 ton from a long distance away I think I would have it trailered. I do not like the tan trucks because of the paint peeling on most of them. The super singles will bolt right on, all the 5 ton axles have the same bolt pattern as far as I know. I do like the Goodyear's a little better than the Michilin's. The TM's will answer the ABS question, I do know there are 2 tubes going to the rear axle and a lite on the dash it should also have a sticker on the front windshield. There are a lot of horror stories on recoveries but the worst thing that I have had is a soft top coming loose in 24 deg. weather on the way home with no duct tape. (check, check and check) is my 2 cents. I am not a expert so please take the advise of the other members there are a lot of experts on this site. Good Luck!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts are find a local member and go see his 923 and let him or her introduce you to it.
Hands on training is great.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Please keep all your similar questions in the same thread. That keeps everyone on the same page and doesn't waste anyone's time.

Merged your two threads.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you put on the super signals the spare tire mount will not work for the bigger tires, but you can mod. that.